I Was Told That I Have a Scar on my Cornea and Glasses or Contacts Wouldn't Help. Would Lasik Help?

PRK might help

+1

You do not need to treat the scar unless it is blurring your vision.  If you have correction that you want to fix, then PRK would be the best option as it will reduce the scar and at the same time fix the vision correction.  Sometimes it is not possible to perform LASIK with a significant scar.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Treatment for Scar on Cornea

+1

It is likely that if you were told that you have a scar that the scar is not visible cosmetically and may not affect vision at all.  In this case, there is really no need to treat the scar.  It is like having a birth mark that nobody sees and doesn't affect you.

LASIK would likely not eliminate the scar either since it creates a flap which is then replaced after the surgery.  PRK could potentially treat the scar.  In PRK, the corneal epithelium is removed and the underlying tissue is treated with a laser.  Following treatment, a bandage contact lens is placed over the cornea and the epithelium grows back.  A surface scar on the cornea can be eliminated via this procedure. 

Unless the scar is large and central, it often has no impact on vision.

Jay Bansal, MD
San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Scar on Cornea

+1

It depends on the origin of the scar.  I would suggest that you consult a cornea/refractive surgeon specialist to determine the best possible course of treatment.

Leslie M. Sims, MD
Las Vegas Ophthalmologist