How Likely is Scarring with Radiesse?

I was told that Radiesse was very safe with no "real" risks involved. I had it injected into a wrinkle in my forehead. I have since learned that you can develop lumps and even scarring. I would like to know if these issues are a frequent problem with users. I am light skinned but scar easy so I am fearful of this possibilty. How likely is this to happen?

Radiesse and forehead crease

+1
If you are happy with the appearance then chances are you won't have any problem. Scars would result possibly if a lump forms and it is removed surgically. It is uncommon for this to occur.

Lumps more likely than scars

+1

Radiesse must be injected very deeply on the forehead to prevent lumping. Problem is, deeper injections increase the risk of a rare complication with some gel fillers due to compromise of blood circulation from compression or blockage of blood vessels. THIS is what can lead to a scar.

In general, I do not like Radiesse on the forehead for these reasons. I prefer neuromodulation with Botox or Dysport, then just a little Restylane into the etched lines that may remain, being careful not to go too superficial as to cause the Tyndall effect or lumping.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Lumps with Radiesse

+1

Lumps following Radiesse is possible but in skilled hands is less likely. Radiesse is a calcium powder that requires another product to make it injectable (carboxymethylcellulose). This takes about 3 months to occur and even if a lump develops it will generally soften.