How Many Minutes Should I Be Massaging The Lumpy Areas Post Liposuction?

Should I be massaging in circles for about 5-10 minutes each time or should I be doing this for longer periods of time. With work, I only get a chance to do it 5-10 minutes in the morning and in the evening. Any other suggestions to help with the healing process and smoothing the lumps.

Massage following lipo

+3

Even massages 5-10 mins twice a day will help with any firm areas and facilitate decreasing the swelling in the area. We use Lymphatic massages in our practice. The patient's undergo one preop and then 1-2 x week for 2 or 3 weeks. I definitely think this helps resolve swelling and feels good for our patients. It is important to see someone who is familiar with post op patients.

+3

Find a LYMPHATIC massage therapist so after work 3 times a week obtain these treatments. Best to allow someone else massage you. 

Liposuction

+2

Massaging the firm lumps after liposuction can help to soften the tissue that is progressing through some internal scarring.  I usually recommend 2 times daily for 3 minutes each time.  Lotion and hand massage works well or you can even add a handheld electrical or battery powered massager.  I hope this info is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Tissue Massage After Liposuction

+2

In the early post operative period, massage of areas that have been liposuctioned provides several benefits.  The pressure seems to stimulate circulation which helps clear away excess tisssue fluid.  It can break up any small scar bands that tend to trap fluid and contribute to the lumpiness. Massage helps to desensitize the area so the tissues do not feel as numb and swollen.  It helps to keep the skin gliding over the fat layer below for a more natural result.  This process does not need to take a long period of time.  Several minutes twice a day between weeks two to six is usually sufficient.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction and massage

+2

In my practice  massage plays a key role in recovery after liposuction. Massage in my opinion is a more the better and earlier better kind of thing.

l ask my patients to start massaging the 2nd or 3rd day if they can tolerate it. The patients who do this heal faster, have less pain and have a better result. Someone trained in lymphatic massage is the best but something is better than nothing.

After liposuction the sensation in the area may be decreased so you must be careful with heat and ULTRASOUND I HAVE HAD PATIENTS WHO'VE BEEN BURNED WITH ULTRASOUND.

Wendell Perry, MD

Liposuction aftercare

+2

There is no science to support the frequency of massage after liposuction surgery. However, it does intuitively makes sense to massage the treated areas early during the postoperative course (for example the 1st month postoperatively). This massage may help smoothen  out the treated areas while the residual fatty tissue and/or scar tissue is still malleable. I suggest that patients tried to massage the treated areas about 3 times a day if possible. Use of a lotion topically may help avoid irritation of the overlying skin. I hope this helps.

MASSAGE AFTER LIPOSUCTION

+2

Massage after liposuction carries no exact time limit or frequency.   Massage does get localized fluid moving until the little lymphatics reconstitute and do the job.  It is hard to do self massage very long.  Possibly a prefessional massage 2 x a week for one hour will speed things aslong.   In the long run patients do well with or without massage.  Massage just helps the process speed along possibly 10% but remember the real recovery takes time.  Use Nivea original cream or if you prefer oil buy a gallon of lavender oil and get to work.   The best home massage idea is having your mate or significant participate.  The time flys faster and it is pleasant.  Best  Dr G Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Massage after liposuction

+1

There is no scientific data when to start the massage, how often, and how long.  However, we recommend some form of massaging soon after liposuction to help with circulation to decrease the fluid entrapment as well as to dimish the lumpiness of the skin contour.  I recommend massaging couple times a day for 5-10 minutes.  Lymphatic massage may help but is more costly.

Sugene Kim, MD

Massaging following liposuction

+1

There is no one scientifically proven effective regimen for post liposuction massage. There are myriad ways that have been recommended and which are probably are effective at various levels. My recommendation to my patients is for massaging the areas 2 - 3 times a day for a few minutes each session. They can either do it on their own or with assistance from others. Many find it inconvenient to go elsewhere for treatments whether or not there is an associated cost. Furthermore, if they work, these approaches are more problematic.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction and Massage

+1

Massaging specific areas after liposuction can be very helpful, but there is no science that officially supports this. However, miost surgeons encourage their patients to do this or, better yet, undergo lymphatic massage. Two to three times a day is usually enough and ensure that your incisions are not being irritated during the process.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD