Carb Free Diet After Bodytite Liposuction?

Hi,I had Bodytite liposuction on my thighs yesterday,and was told on leaving that I should follow a carb free diet for 4 weeks!I'm just not understanding the relevence to this?I'm not a big meat eater and my diet is healthy as agreed with my GP so I really don't understand why no carbs would benefit!It concerns me as I train a lot and feel that my energy levels when training would be next to nil! I would be so grateful if someone could explain my query.

Very simple reason why they want you on a carb free diet.

+3

Dear Pennieblack

It does not take a rocket scientist to understand why they want you on a carb free diet for 4 weeks.  You loose weight on such a diet dramatically-it makes their liposuction procedure look like a winner.  When you come back in 4 weeks with minimal results and tell them that you did not follow their diet they can blame for the lack of results.  If the method was so great, there would be no need to diet like this.  Please share your follow up experience with the Realself community.

It makes sense to gradually loose weight after liposuction if one is above his/her ideal weight before the procedure.

+1

It makes sense to gradually loose weight after liposuction if one is above his/her ideal weight before the procedure. The best results from liposuction are seen in people who maintain a healthy diet and exercise program. If a person is already doing these things, it is not necessary to begin a special diet after liposuction.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Bodytite liposuction

+1

I agree with you. Your diet following surgery will not affect how you heal from your liposuction. With any liposuction procedure, whether it is SlimLipo,SmartLipo,Ultrasonic Vasar,Tumescent or BodyLite, it should look good right after surgery and then you will get swelling, black and blueness(depending on how easily the patient bruises). Then with time(weeks to months) the swelling will decrease and your final result should be seen after about 6 months. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and diet

+1

Regardless of the type of liposuction it is important not to eat more than preoperatively. Some people might think that since they had liposuction they can eat more without gaining weight.  The surgeon may be stressing the fact that you should eat healthy so as not to gain weight after the liposuction. If you have a lot of fat removed with the procedure, then your body doesn't need the daily calories its used to for supporting the maintenance energy requirements of the prior fat load. After surgery, you need less calories to maintain the new weight. Maybe your surgeon was trying to get prevent you from putting weight back on.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Low carbohydrate high glycemic index diet following liposuction.

+1

This is not  a universally held belief but some feel that a higher carbohydrate and low glycemic index type diet may promote fluid retention and that minimizing carbs could be beneficial.

Carb free diet after liposuction

+1

I think that the surgeon who treate you just wants you to eat healthy.  I do not tell my patients to maintain a specific diet.

Diet after Liposuction

+1

I agree that the recommendation is probably just advice to have a healthy diet.  It is not necessary, however, to have a completely carb-free diet after liposuction.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Carb free diet after Bodytite

+1

There is no benefit to the Bodytite procedure for a patient to go on a Carb free diet afterwards. There is always a benefit to this type of surgery if the patients do not eat excessively right after surgery and this is probable what your Doctor is trying the prevent.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Carb free diets can enhance liposuction

+1

Carb free diets, high protein intake with exercise is something professional body builders know about in order to push the subcutaneous fat layer to 10% or less which gives the maximum muscle definition and helps win competitions. Though such an approach may enhance liposuction results, even the pros can't maintain the diet past the big competitions and you shouldn't either. Stick to your current healthy diet and lifestyle and you will enjoy your result all the more.

peterejohnsonmd

Carb free diets and liposuction

+1

The recommendation for a carb free diet is likely meant to promote more "healthy" way of eating and to remind us to watch what we eat after a procedure.  While I am not a fan of carb free diets, I often tell patients to follow a well balanced, slightly calorie restricted diet after lipo.  I usually recommend South Beach as I find that patients have an easier time following it.  The main goal of the diet is to promote some weight loss in the post operative period so that the cosmetic result will be optimized.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon