Today a Clump of Blood and Crust Came Out (pulled Out). Will I Be Ok ?

I had my surgery on Feb 2nd today (2/7) I had stitches removed yet nurse said crust was protecting my nose so she couldn't remove. She did say I can put cream to soften the crust. I was doing so and had little bits of crust following for the rest of the day. I just out a little more with a q-tip and a huge clump of blood and crust came out. I'm worried now that the inside won't heal properly.

Blood and Crust from Nose 1 Week Post Rhinoplasty

+1

It should not be any problem for blood and crusts to be present and fall out 1 week after a rhinoplasty. Call the surgeon who did your work for his advice.

Crusts after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common for dried blood that looks like crusts to be inside of the nose after a rhinoplasty. They can be stuck to the absorbable sutures or to nasal hairs. Their falling out is normal and will not negatively affect your result.

Julio Garcia, MD

Crusts after rhinoplasty can be normal

+1

This soon after a rhino, you can have a significant amount of dried blood.  In my patients, I do not pick the crusts out and ask patients to use sinus irrigation to flush out any dried blood and crusts.  You should be ok.  If you have questions or concerns, please call your surgeon and have him/her take a quick look at you.  They should be happy to do so and will reassure you.

Regards,

Athre

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon