Will an incision at both ends of the scar on my cheek get rid of the dog ears? (Photo)

Had surgery in December to remove a spot (melanoma in-situ) in center of cheek. Ever since the stitches were removed around the 21st of December there has been the bumps which haven't resolved. I have tried massaging and have been using kelocote for 9 weeks. I saw the doctor at the end of January and he said don't worry we will fix it even if we have to make a small incision at both ends. I'm very self conscious about this because it sticks out really bad. Is a small incision an easy fix?

Will an incision at both ends of the scar on my cheek get rid of the dog ears?

Yes, this is possible. Typically we recommend waiting at least 12 months for the scar to mature on its own prior to considering a revision. If a revision is necessary, either the entire scar can be removed (along with the standing cones of skin) or two small excision of the cones can be performed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon