Will an incision at both ends of the scar on my cheek get rid of the dog ears? (Photo)

Had surgery in December to remove a spot (melanoma in-situ) in center of cheek. Ever since the stitches were removed around the 21st of December there has been the bumps which haven't resolved. I have tried massaging and have been using kelocote for 9 weeks. I saw the doctor at the end of January and he said don't worry we will fix it even if we have to make a small incision at both ends. I'm very self conscious about this because it sticks out really bad. Is a small incision an easy fix?

Will an incision at both ends of the scar on my cheek get rid of the dog ears?

+2
Yes, this is possible. Typically we recommend waiting at least 12 months for the scar to mature on its own prior to considering a revision. If a revision is necessary, either the entire scar can be removed (along with the standing cones of skin) or two small excision of the cones can be performed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to help dog ears and ends of scar?

+2
It can take 6-12 months for a scar to heal, so I would wait a longer amount of time to see the results of the surgery on your cheek.  Normally, any dog ears at the end of a scar do flatten out more over time.  If they do not, it is fairly simple to make a small incision over each to improve them.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon