I Have Tmj Will Tthat Prevent Me from a Nose Job?

I've seen a oral surgeon before and he felt that the benefit I would get from jaw surgery would be minimum compared to the recovery period and the price for this surgery. I have no desire to get jaw surgery and as long as I'm careful with my jaw I normally don't have any issues. Do you think having tmj might cause an issue for me to get rhinoplasty?

TMJ and rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Lilly, I agree with the other presenters regarding your having rhinoplasty. I don't know what the jaw surgery is for regarding your TMJ but consider seeing an experienced cosmetic dentist who is trained by the Las Vegas Institute. They have experience in treating TMJ problems by adjusting the bite through restorative cosmetic dentistry. I work with several great cosmetic dentists and, in fact, had a full mouth restoration which helped reduce the tension in my bite and my teeth wear patterns. You might also get a second opinion about your TMJ. 

TMJ issues and rhinoplasty surgery are unrelated

+2

Its unlikely that your TMJ issues will complicate your recovery after rhinoplasty surgery. Be sure to inform your anesthesia provider about any problems you have with jaw mobility, as that might change your anesthetic plan.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

TMJ and rhinoplasty

+1

Your TMJ shouldn't prevent you from having a rhinoplasty. The surgery is far enough away from the jaw and jaw joint such that it shouldn't hinder you from having nose surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

TMJ not a contraindication

+1

Hi Lilly,

I am not aware of TMJ as a contraindication to Rhinoplasty. 

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Anand Shah MD

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can TMJ Affect Rhinoplasty? #nosejob

+1

I am not aware that having TMJ will have any impact from Rhinoplasty surgery. You should not have any issues with this procedure.

Richard J. Brown, MD

It is Okay for TMJ Patient to Have Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Lilly,

It is okay to have rhinoplasty despite having TMJ.  Be sure to inform your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty and TMJ

+1

There is no reason for Rhinoplasty to have any effect on your TMJ.  Certain other facial procedures done close to the TMJ (i.e. a face lift) may at time aggravate the TMJ

Sam Naficy, MD

TMJ and rhinoplasty

+1

TMJ will not cause any issues while undergoing a rhinoplasty. As long as your  careful with your jaw you probably will not need TMJ surgery anyway.

TMJ and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Temporomandibular Joint problems will not interfere with rhinoplasty surgery. Consult with a experienced rhinoplasty specialist.