I Had a Breast Augmentation and my Stitches Are Infected is This Only Because I Started Smoking Again?

I had A breast augmentation and my white strips ripped before they were ready and caused a small opening it became infected my doctor said that if continue to smoke and anti botiocs dont help ( my second round) he remove my implant is smoking the only reason ??? and how much does it cost generally to take implant out and put back in ? and is this really All my fault

Smoking Compromises Ability To Fight Infection After Breast Augmentation

+1
A smoker's compromised immune system leads to a rate of post-operative wound infection that is six times higher than non-smokers. While there may be other reasons that contributed to your infection, smoking is the reason why your body may not have been able to fight it off as well. The cost of revision surgery varies depending on the surgeon. 

Smoking and breast surgery

+1

Smoking has many detrimental effects on wound healing. Surgery and smoking really do mot mix well.  Listen to your Doc.

Smoking Underestimated after Breast Augmentation

+1

Smoking after any surgery leads to reduction in blood flow and compromises healing.  The cascade is very complex and not appropriate for description in this forum but smoking should be stopped to ensure the best outcome.  The next step is to remove the implant and possibly replace it in 3 to 6 months provided the infection is properly treated and the smoking has ceased.

Healing and Smoking

+1

First step is to stop smoking while you are healing. Impaired wound healing is one of the side effects we mention to our patients if they choose to smoke during their healing period. Speak with your surgeon about your costs and options of healing or removal of implants. 

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Wound dehiscence after breast augmentation

+1
Smoking is deleterious to wound closure. However, a wound which reopens is not the same as a wound infection. If the wound is infected, there is a significant risk of contamination of the implant, which will commonly require removal. Your plastic surgeon will be the best source of information as to the cost of surgery to remove the implant. If there is an infection, then reimplantation should be deferred to a later time. You are correct that smoking is implicated here but, rather than beating yourself up about it, try to move forward. This may be a very good motivation to quit. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Smoking and wound healing problems

+1

Smoking definitely effects healing after surgery especially when large areas of skin are undermined such as with an abdominoplasty, breast reduction and facelift.  While we are always concerned about smoking it is not as important with breast augmentation.  You would only need to have the implant removed if the implant itself becomes infected.  An infected implant will cause the breast to be very sore, tender in all four quadrants and red.  You may only have a small suture infection or superficial wound separation but in any event you need to be checked again.  

Surgery and smoking

+1

The nicotine in cigarettes can cause blood vessels to constrict and decrease blood flow to an incision site.  While this may delay the healing process and decrease your ability to ward off an infection, it really doesn't have anything to do with causing an infection.  That would be the result of bacteria in the wound.  My suggestion would be to do exactly what your doctor recommended.  Keep the area clean with soap and water and apply antibiotic ointment to the wound.  Stopping your cigarette smoking at this point really won't accomplish much.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Smoking and Breast infection

+1

I am not sure how much you can be blamed for smoking since I am not aware since how many years you have been smoking what is your age and how much you smoke now. Smoking reduces the blood supply to the entire body and thus does not help in healing. However infection of suture line is sometime caused by sutures ( specially Vicryl ) which is sometime not as good as expected by the surgeon since the hospitals purchase the cheapest qualities in general and that can be the source of wound openings and infection. If your PS is already telling you to replace the implants the situation is bad enough and you need to listen to him. Wish you good luck

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon