Skin Tightening Laser for Turkey Neck?

I am 50 years old. About five years ago I shed all my excess weight (more than 75 lbs) perhaps a little too quickly. As a result I have a very mild "turkey" neck which no amount of stretching or exercise will address. My stomach got wrinkly too, but the neck is my first priority. Is Titan laser the way to go to address these problems?

Laser neck lifting

Unfortunately, there isn't any non-surgical way to tighten the skin on the neck to any significant degree. At 50 years old and after massive weight loss, the elasticity of your skin is inadequate to shrink more than it already has. The excess can be removed in a cheek and neck lift with a beautiful result done by the right surgeon with a 2 week relatively painless recovery!

Neck contouring

Ultimately, a surgical neck lift would be your best option. This procedure could include tightening your underlying musculature to give you a better contour and also removing the excess skin laxity. Together this allows for a much better neck contour. In some instances, some liposuction is also beneficial to reduce the submental fullness.

However, if you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

ThermiTight for neck and abdominal tightening

ThermiTight is a great alternative to a surgical necklift in the appropriate candidate. It can produce excellent skin tightening results that allows someone the option to avoid a surgical procedure. There is a limit to how much skin laxity can be treated with ThermiTight so you would need an evaluation to determine if this device is right for you.

The Thermitight procedure can also produce very nice results in the abdominal region. It is important to remember that it addresses skin laxity and produces tightening by stimulating collagen production. If there is underlying fat that is contributing to the fullness then this will need to be addressed with liposuction. Both procedures can be done simultaneously if it is determined that this is the appropriate treatment for you.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Invasive treatments vs surgery

From your information at 50 years old and excessive weight loss it is not realistic that you will get the result you are looking for from any non-invasive (office based) procedure.  Skin tightening or collagen building lasers and treatments work best preventative, results for corrective treatment are minimal at best.   It sounds like you would be a better candidate for a neck lift.  Any less done time or money invested in non-invasive treatments can seem convenient but you might be better off in investing in a more permanent solution in the long run.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening laser for turkey neck

I want to congratulate you on doing the really hard work of losing the weight. As to what to for a turkey neck, you have several options all depending on a diagnosis. If your turkey neck is just loose skin, then you can get a good result with Ultherapy. Even better would be a newer treatment combining Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound to tighten, and ThermiSmooth, which uses precision controlled RF energy to create skin tightening.

But if there’s any fat left in that turkey neck then your best choice is ThermiTight. ThermiTight uses a smart RF probe below the skin, inside the loose turkey neck skin, for a deeper tightening and some fat removal as well. I just published a study on ThermiTight in the February issue Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.

It is a safe effective treatment for tightening skin around the neck and jowls. Please take a look at some of the ThermiTight pictures on my RealSelf page.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser neck lift

Surgical neck lift is the most effective treatment of turkey neck with significant skin laxity.  Although external application of laser may sound appealing, at this point the results are modest at best.  An alternative would be a laser assisted liposuction, such as SmartLipo.  The laser is passed in the subcutaneous tissue through tiny incisions.  This procedure may offer more effective skin tightening for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity.

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Laser Neck LIft?

I tell me patients that nothing currently is effective for lifting the neck except surgery.  As with anything marketed by major companies, occaisionally there may be someone who gets a noticeable result, but those are few and far between. 

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive lasers are unlikely to correct a "turkey neck"

Non-invasive lasers are unlikely to correct a "turkey neck". That is because a turkey neck is caused by damage to the skin as well as to the underlying fat and muscle. These will require an invasive procedure.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

The Titan Will Not Correct a Turkey Neck

As appealing as lasers and other non-incisional approaches might seem, they will be completely ineffective for a 50 year old who has lost 75 lbs (congratulations on the weight loss).  A neck lift and possibly a Facelift with Platysmaplasty will be necessary to achieve your goals.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklifts, Not Laser Skin Treatments, Will Work For A Turkeyneck

As appealing as a laser is for tightening loose skin, a turkey neck problem poses a challenge beyond what heating up the skin can do. Laser and other skin tightening devices have their value in very mild skin excess problems like a 1/2 inch or so. A turkey neck for most patients consists of a skin excess problem that can be measured in a number of inches, often 3 or 4 inches of excess skin and fat. A simple comparison of inches improved will tell you that the results from a laser necklift pales in comparison to what a surgical necklift can achieve.