Skin Tightening Laser for Turkey Neck?

I am 50 years old. About five years ago I shed all my excess weight (more than 75 lbs) perhaps a little too quickly. As a result I have a very mild "turkey" neck which no amount of stretching or exercise will address. My stomach got wrinkly too, but the neck is my first priority. Is Titan laser the way to go to address these problems?

Laser Neck LIft?

+2

I tell me patients that nothing currently is effective for lifting the neck except surgery.  As with anything marketed by major companies, occaisionally there may be someone who gets a noticeable result, but those are few and far between. 

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklifts, Not Laser Skin Treatments, Will Work For A Turkeyneck

+2

As appealing as a laser is for tightening loose skin, a turkey neck problem poses a challenge beyond what heating up the skin can do. Laser and other skin tightening devices have their value in very mild skin excess problems like a 1/2 inch or so. A turkey neck for most patients consists of a skin excess problem that can be measured in a number of inches, often 3 or 4 inches of excess skin and fat. A simple comparison of inches improved will tell you that the results from a laser necklift pales in comparison to what a surgical necklift can achieve.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Laser is not suitable treatment for a "turkey neck".

+2

Laser assisted liposuction might create some tightening of the skin but only the most modest of amounts.  If excess skin is an aesthetic problem anywhere on the body, including the neck, only excision will eliminate it.  It sounds as though you need at least a lower facelift.

Titan laser will not correct the turkey neck

+2
No externally applied laser will correct neck laxity called the turkey neck which occurs after weight loss or with aging. If you have "bands" under the chin in the turkey neck, surgical nect lift is required to correct the banding.

Skin tightening machines like Thermage, Refirme, Titan and others have been very disappointing in my expoerience over the past 6 years.

When using these technologies, even at high power settings I always have to show the patients before and after pictures to prove that they have a result-not a sign of an effective procedure.

New laser liposuction technologies-SlimLipo, Smartlipo, and Coolipo can achieve more significant skin tightening than the externally applied technologies and can be effective for mild to moderate neck laxity.

However, a significant turkey neck in my opinion requires a surgical neck lift.

Consult a reputable board certified plastic surgeon and ask for an honest opinion

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser neck lifting

+2

Unfortunately, there isn't any non-surgical way to tighten the skin on the neck to any significant degree. At 50 years old and after massive weight loss, the elasticity of your skin is inadequate to shrink more than it already has. The excess can be removed in a cheek and neck lift with a beautiful result done by the right surgeon with a 2 week relatively painless recovery!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Skin tightening laser for turkey neck

+1
I want to congratulate you on doing the really hard work of losing the weight. As to what to for a turkey neck, you have several options all depending on a diagnosis. If your turkey neck is just loose skin, then you can get a good result with Ultherapy. Even better would be a newer treatment combining Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound to tighten, and ThermiSmooth, which uses precision controlled RF energy to create skin tightening.

But if there’s any fat left in that turkey neck then your best choice is ThermiTight. ThermiTight uses a smart RF probe below the skin, inside the loose turkey neck skin, for a deeper tightening and some fat removal as well. I just published a study on ThermiTight in the February issue Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.

It is a safe effective treatment for tightening skin around the neck and jowls. Please take a look at some of the ThermiTight pictures on my RealSelf page.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser neck lift

+1

Surgical neck lift is the most effective treatment of turkey neck with significant skin laxity.  Although external application of laser may sound appealing, at this point the results are modest at best.  An alternative would be a laser assisted liposuction, such as SmartLipo.  The laser is passed in the subcutaneous tissue through tiny incisions.  This procedure may offer more effective skin tightening for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity.

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive lasers are unlikely to correct a "turkey neck"

+1

Non-invasive lasers are unlikely to correct a "turkey neck". That is because a turkey neck is caused by damage to the skin as well as to the underlying fat and muscle. These will require an invasive procedure.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

The Titan Will Not Correct a Turkey Neck

+1

As appealing as lasers and other non-incisional approaches might seem, they will be completely ineffective for a 50 year old who has lost 75 lbs (congratulations on the weight loss).  A neck lift and possibly a Facelift with Platysmaplasty will be necessary to achieve your goals.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Neck Lift

+1

While a nonsurgical laser skin tightening device alone may only minimally improve neck skin laxity, surgical treatment in concert with the use of a laser is a newer but excellent option to improve the neck's contour.  In our practice, we use very small, concealed incisions to perform laser surgery to the neck.  The turkey bands (platysma bands) are addressed; in addition, neck contouring is performed.  There is no need to make longer incisions (as in a traditional facelift) in many cases (as was dogmatic in the past) -- especially in those patients who have good skin texture and those who are younger than 60-65 years in age.  Risks are rare; downtime is minimal.  

Vish Banthia, MD