Is This Tissue/skin/fat Necrosis? (photo)

I'm 17 days post full tummy tuck. Some parts of the incision look great, but this is in the midline. Much of the swelling has gone down but I feel a hard "ridge" the protrudes a little and runs directly under the incision. I'm worried this is skin necrosis and it is kind of like a scab. It's not painful at all though.

Is This Tissue/skin/fat Necrosis?

+1

The posted photo demonstrates very minor skin edge necrosis that can be treated locally. Best to discuss with your PS. 

What is skin necrosis?

+1

From your photos, you do have mild skin necrosis (death) in the areas where there is scabbing. It is difficult to determine if there is fat necrosis beneath these areas. However, this is very mild and will continue to improve over time. IT is likely that the scars will be slightly wider there in comparison to the other, well healed areas, but this may never be an issue for you.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Skin necrosis

+1

Yes this is a small amount of skin necrosis, and it is at the most common location.  Fortunately, it is very limited, and there is no redness that surrounds the area suggestive of either deeper fat necrosis or infection. This is not too uncommon, and your incision should heal in about two weeks.  There may be a less than desirable scar there, but maybe not.  If there is, there are a number of things that can be done to improve it's appearance.

Do not be alarmed by this situation, it should not get worse nor is it dangerous.  Additionally, this problem is not due to surgeon neglegence per se.  You should keep in close contact with your surgeon to best care for the wound so that it heals as quickly as possible.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Necrosis after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Always best to check with your plastic surgeon for accurate advice.

Small areas of “scabbing" that can be seen on your tummy tuck incision line is quite normal after tummy tuck surgery.  I do not think you have much to worry about in regards to tissue necrosis.  Generally I suggest patients allow the scabs to remain in place as long as possible;  they serve as a “biological Band-Aid"  allowing the underlying tissue to heal.

Continue to follow closely with your plastic surgeon.