Tissue Expander for Tuberous Breasts?

I am 19 years old and my surgery to fix my tuberous breasts is scheduled for this winter. I am getting expanders put in both breasts and then I have to go to get them filled 3 times. Then, my second surgery (not scheduled yet) will be to remove them and put in permanent implants to fix the rest of the problem. Is that a good way to fix tuberous breasts? I would like to hear from other doctors how they would go about this and if they recommend me to go this route to correct the deformity.

Tissue expander for tuberous breasts?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!   The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  

It sounds like you had true tuberous/constricted breast deformity with likely a very tight/constricted lower pole.  If this was the case, without seeing you or photos preoperatively, this sounds like the appropriate modality for your deformity.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift is superior to tissue expander

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs so I cannot tell the degree of the deformity.  However, I have never used tissue expanders for tuberous breasts.  The technique I use is called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue, create upper pole fullness and bring your breasts closer together.  This is done without damaging nerves in the areolas or interfering with breast feeding in the future.  If the patient wants implants to change the breast size that can be done simultaneously through the same incision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tissue Expanders for tuberous breasts

+1

This is an accepted method for treating tuberous breasts. Some patients can have a one stage procedure also. Photographs would be helpful.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast Correction #breastimplants

+1

The degree of tuberous breast varies so greatly. Certainly using tissue expanders is a conservative good way to fix the problem. I think being conservative is a great way to go. Depending on the severity of your breasts you may be able to have a one stage operation. Ultimately you have to trust your choice in surgeon and be confident that you have chosen the right person. Look at before and afters and make sure this is something your surgeon has done before. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

What methods are there to correct tuberous breasts?

+1

Dear Katherine

Many thanks for your question. There are many approaches to fixing tuberous breasts and the way in which you describe (a two-stage approach using tissue expanders) is a very traditional strategy. Other methods do exist, some of which do not require two stages. I would suggest you review different before and after pictures with your plastic surgeon and ensure they answer all questions you may have to be 100% confident prior to embarking on surgery.

Good luck

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast correction

+1

Thank you for your question.  Pictures would have been helpful, but generally speaking I do not use tissue expanders to correct tuberous breasts (because I do not need them).  Make sure your Plastic Surgeon does a lot of breast surgery and he/she has experience with correcting tuberous breasts.  I would make sure you see a lot of before and after photos before proceeding with any surgeon.  Good luck!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Tuberous breast issues

+1

There are many way to treat a tuberous breast. It really depends upon the deformity. Some place implants immediately and treat the areola  as well as score the lower pole.

Different alternative for tuberous breats

+1

It would have been helpful to see your pictures. I offer my patient fat grafting for the correction of the tuberous breasts. The goal is to give volume over the lower pole and also use circumareolar mastopexy to correct the nipple-aerola shape if needed. I use Brava device on selected cases before fat grafting.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Tuberous Breasts

+1

My approach to correction of this issue would be based on your individual situation, in terms of whether both breasts are affected symmetrically as well as the degree of constriction and shape of the nipple/areola.  

I generally use an incision around the areola and release the lower pole tissue through this incision.  Whether the procedure can be done in one stage depends on how much tissue you have to begin with and how much volume you desire in your end result.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

TUBEROUS BREASTS

+1

Hi Katherine,

There are different approaches to treating tuberous breasts.  Tissue expansion is a wonderful approach in certain situations.  Photos would help to determine if a 1 stage or 2 stage approach would be best.  I usually can acheive a very nice result without tissue expansion. In fact I have never used tissue expansion to treat tuberous breasts. Usually this is an elective cosmetic procedure and the cost with 2 procedures is usually prohibitive.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon