Tips to Reduce Nose Size After Rhinoplasty

I am 9 weeks post-op and i think my nose is very big now!! I know the final result is still months down the road but I am concerned about my nose bigness!! how much of this bigness is because of swelling? I'm wondering if there is any injection way to help reduce my nose bigness.

What can be done to improve postop rhinoplasty swelling?

+2

I have a few tricks I tell my patients that they can do if they want to actively reduce their postoperative swelling:

1. Elevate your head at least 30 degrees when sleeping. This can be done with several pillows or by sleeping in a recliner
  2. Follow a low salt diet of 1500 mg or less. This is a less commonly described method of reducing swelling but I find that it really does help. It is surprisingly hard to keep your sodium intake that low, especially if you eat a lot of processed foods, but it is certainly manageable if you read nutrition labels. Reducing sodium intake prompts your body to retain less fluid, improving your nasal swelling.
  3. Reduce strenuous activity. This is more helpful for the first 2-4 weeks after surgery. As you elevate your blood pressure with exercise you'll get more swelling.

Reducing Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

Most of the effect that you can have on swelling is in the immediate post-op  period (first week).  After this time, there is not much that can be done.  You can try to ice the nose, avoid strenuous activity, ensure that you are wearing a good sun block when outside and massage the nose but really, it is just a matter of time.  Expect that it will be visibly swollen for 6 months. On the positive side, your photo does look like you have had a nice result.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nine week post rhinoplasty

+2

You are definitely still sweollne being that you are only nine weeks out from a rhinoplasty.  You have to give it up to a year and sometimes longer.

+1

I have found that sleeping with your head elevated diminishes the morning swelling that occurs. Manual lymphatic drainage can also be helpful,.