Any Tips to Help Swelling After Smartlipo?

Hi everyone, So here's the story. im 22 years old and have stubborn belly fat that will just not go away. I live a very healthy lifestyle and i don't have much loose skin. I finally decided to choose smart Lipo and am scheduled for the procedure on August 18. My concern is that I am going on vacation on September 14th and want to be bikini ready. The nurse at my consult said i should be fine by then, but im worried I will still look swollen. What can do to make it less swolen faster?

Swelling after SmartLipo

+2

As women, we all know lots of things cause swelling.  Hormonal fluctuations during a given month, age, sodium intake and prolonged standing are just a few factors. Planning before the procedure is key! The best way to avoid excess swelling after SmartLipo is to restrict your sodium intake to no more than 1800mg/day for 2 weeks prior to the procedure.  Adequate (but not too aggressive) compression with the proper post-operative garment is also a significant necessity.  I also advise my patients to take natural supplements like arnica and bromelain a week or 2 before and for 2 weeks after the Smartlipo procedure.  Vitamins A, C, E and zinc are also instrumental in reducing swelling and expediting the healing process.

Dr Windell Davis Boutte', M.D. FAAD
Board Certified Dermatologist/ Surgeon

SmartLipo  Expert

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Wearing a bikini one month after SmartLipo

+1

I tell patients that they should plan on being in a one piece or a monokini, at the very least, for a few months following their abdominal SmartLipo procedure.  There is swelling as well as some irregularities that require time to resolve in the early months.

Lymphatic treatments provided by our massage therapist do seem to shorten the recovery time and wearing the post-operative garment also seems to help.

Elysa Fisher, MD
Wilmette Plastic Surgeon

Swelling with Lipo

+1

You will need to wear the compression garment for at least one week, this will help with the swelling, you can wear it longer but it is not necessary. Also take Arnica, this will help with any bruising that may occur. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Bikini - ready after one month? - maybe

+1

One month after smartlipo, the water; used for the procedure - should be gone.

There will still be some swelling that has not resolved. Also the collagen tightening will not have really kicked in much yet.

One month after smartlipo should show some progress, but even at 3 to 6 months you will continue to see nice changes.

We encourage the use of the compressive garment as much as possible, along with reasonable physical activity.and drinking adequate amounts of water  As for bruising, generally there isn't much, and what little there is ought to be gone at one month with or without arnica.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo swelling

+1

Have you tried smoothshapes or velashapes?  We find that this reduces the swelling very quickly.  We are in Atlanta if you would like to come and see us. 

I agree with the other surgeons about the garment, lots of fluids, low salt diet and arnica.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stomach

+1

You need to be very patient about the swelling. Often it is not really resolved at one month. You will have swelling from the trauma,retained fluid from the procedure as well as bruising. The best things you can do is wear the garments, low salt diet and try arnica

David A. Bray, Sr., MD