Ive Had 2 Tiplasty Revisions, a Doc Just Told Me my Tip is Drooping, Will a Graft Prevent More Droop?

Ive had a rhinoplasty with 2 tip revisions in the past 8 years, my nose is still big and long, im considering a full rhinoplasty revision and a surgeon told me my tip is starting to droop. Will this get worse if i dont do anything? And will septum cartlidge graft help prevent more drooping and be safe?

Tip Drooping and Cartilage Graft

+1

A droopy tip can be stabilized with a cartilage graft, but it can be improved in other ways as well.  Pictures would be helpful, but exam would be mandatory to determine stability and anatomy.

Drooping Tip and Cartilage Grafting

+1

Candice, it sounds like your tip was not positioned ideally following the two previous rhinoplasties. As people age, the nasal tip can begin to droop down, much like other areas of the body will do. That being said, your drooping tip may become worse if left alone. Obviously, it would help to see photos of your nose and know more about the details of your prior surgery. If you do end up having another revision rhinoplasty, cartilage grafting can help stabilize the tip in the new position. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple rhinopalsties

+1

The more rhinoplasties you undergo, the more likely you will have complications with the skin envelope.

Tip drop after rhinoplasty with revisions x 2

+1

I hate to hear about multiple revisions for rhinoplasty. I worry about:

1) unrealistic patient expectation; 

2) excess scar tissue and deranged and ruined anatomy.  

The nasal tip is actually a delicate structure and too much surgery can destroy support and ruin the soft tissue envelope.

Grafts are often needed for tip support, especially in the over-operated nose.  Make sure you consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has had experience with tertiary rhinoplasty.  Be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge the surgeon's experience level and so you can learn what types of results are reasonable to expect.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tip support in the nose

+1

Photos would have helped but in most circumstances in revision rhinoplasty a columellar strut graft to support the tip is helpful to maintain and stabilize tip position.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS