Is Tiplasty Best for Me? I Feel It's Not Bone or Cartilage, It's Just Extra Skin on the Tip of my Nose and Nostrils

I want to avoid rhinoplasty because I think I can get great results with subtle changes.How much does tiplasty cost? What is the price range?

Additional Information Added 11/22/11

I am hipansic and have a sort of a less define tip and wide nose due to my nostrils. Also, from the side view, I feel it could look better with a slight lift upward. It's not droopy but it appears more prominent than how I would like it. Thanks.I would prefer a close tiplasty procedure because its less invasive having the incisions inside. Any tips would be great thanks.

Tiplasty or rhinoplasty isn’t about excess skin

+2

Dear Cjious;

Beware of thinking that a surgical procedure can solve a very thick-skinned tip.  You need thorough evaluation by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if operating on the architecture of the nose, i.e. the cartilage and/or bone, will give you a better nose.

It may be that your skin is so thick that surgery is not the answer.  If indeed the skin is the problem, it is possible to thin the skin using cortisone injections, but don’t count on that until an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon has told you that. 

When you mention that there is “extra skin” on the nostrils that implies that the nostril walls are thick and that is another red flag that standard surgical rhinoplasty, even with nostril narrowing, may not be the answer for you.

Don’t jump to conclusions; take it from the top with a good nasal surgeon and you will be well served. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Tipplasty vs rhinoplasty

+2

Good question, but impossible to answer without decent pictures.  In general, tipplasty is uncommon as a stadalone.  That is, even what might appear to you to be a nose requiring a subtle tip change most likely would need a proper rhinoplasty to achieve the best result.  Every shape change to a part of the nose affects the aesthetics of the other parts.  Nuance rhinoplasty is more and more common, and a satisfying procedure for the surgeon and patient.

Some of the best rhinoplasty surgeons in the world live and work in Texas. The best advice to offer you is to see one of them for a consultation, which is not expensive and carries no further obligation.  You'll find out for sure whether a tipplasty will suffice for your needs or whether it won't.

Very good luck to you.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty

+1

The cost of tip plasty is $4,000 to $5,000.  The tip plasty procedure is performed to decrease the bulbous lower tip cartilages.  A tip plasty is not performed to change skin at the tip of the nose.

I want to avoid rhinoplasty because I think I can get great results with subtle changes.How much does tiplasty cost? What is the

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for well over 20 years and have done photo evaluations and consultations for out of country and state patients for over 15 years.  Without photos, there's no accurate way to evaluate your nasal tip or quote you a fee IMHO.  Send photos or better yet have some in person consultations with qualified Rhinoplasty Surgeons.

Tip plasty vs rhinoplasty

+1

You may be right in your assumption that all you need are sublte changes. However, without photos and an actual exam- it's very difficult to say. Some people may have fatty tips while others have thickened skin on their tips. Two very different problems with 2 very different solutions. Price for either varies on how much work is expected to achieve your particular goals. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Evaluating the Nasal Tip

+1

Without pictures it is impossible to diagnose your tip problem or make recommendation. A tip plasty  can be done as an isolated procedure without changing other parts of the nose, but that is something you will decide after talking to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Thick tip skin may compromise the results achieved with surgery,  but there are techniques that enable us to to improve those noses. The cost of surgery will vary depending on your location, the amount of work to be done, and the experience of your surgeon. Calling physicians in your area will give you an idea of appropriate charges. 

Tip plasty costs

+1

The costs of a tip plasty vary from one region of the country to another. Try not to focus too much on price, and find a quality board certified plastic surgeon that does nice work.