Nostrils Show and Tip of Nose Is Elevated, But Doctor Says No Tip Work Was Done, Is This Normal?

Hello, i did not have any tip work done to my nose but my tip is now elevated and my nostrils show, the doctor told me that there was no tip work done and that no lifting was done as i had asked, but my tip is really stiff and lifted and i look really bad, it is 3 weeks post op and i have thick skin, will my tip go back to normal or will the lift it has be the way it is ?

3 weeks post-op

+1

Three weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - swelling will often make the tip appear up-turned

+1

imagine instead of surgery you just added water into the tissues of the nasal dorsum, sort of like a sponge would add water. it would raise the tip and as a result the nostrils would show. so yes, just swelling without tip work can elevate the tip and yes it will go down as the sponge dries out and shrinks.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tip lifted after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will continue to settle for months after your Rhinoplasty.  You can ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for specific instructions on how to rotated the nasl tip down if it's still to high after the healing process has been completed.

Thick skin tip elevation

+1

The combination of thick skin and work on the nasal dorsum (profile) can certainly result in swelling causing what you describe. Be patient and trust your doctors advice. It can take 3 months or more for thick skin to begin to settle.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Elevation Can Occur

+1

Tip elevation or rotation can occur with maneuvers during a rhinoplasty that do not actually involve the tip itself.  An example might be aggressive treatment of the dorsal aspect of the septum especially at the anteriior angle of the septum.  This allows significant rotation of the nose and thus exposure of the nostrls.  Hopefully this will resolve in time.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rotated tip

+1

You are very early in the healing curve and need to wait until your nose is stable. Ask your surgeon if he shortened your septum. Shortening the septum can result in over rotation.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Nasal Tip Elevation After Rhinoplasty

+1

Three weeks after surgery is very early in the recovery after a rhinoplasty. Swelling of the nasal tip lasts longer than other parts of the nose and will persist for months. Although it is difficult to assess without photos, swelling at the base of the nostrils and the skin between the nostrils (columella) can give the appearance of an elevated tip, but it will improve as the swelling goes down. Also, it is normal for the tip to have a firm, "wooden" feeling to it at this stage. Give it time and don't stare at it every day looking for change. You will just wear yourself out.

Joseph Fata, MD

+1

Even if no tip work was done, lifting the skin off the cartilage during surgery will cause swelling postop. The swelling may temporarily change the appearance of the tip. Once the swelling goes down the tip should go back to normal.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rotation

+1

Hi,

Although its impossible for anyone to know what your doctor did in surgery, 3 weeks is a little early to make any judgments. Sounds like your tip maybe over-rotated or over-projected. Usually over a period of 3 to 6 months the tip does drop a little which may improve your over-rotation and/or projection.

Dr.S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS