Tip Too Swollen and Higher Than Expected. Also Numbness

I'm Asian & got my 1st rhino 8 days ago. With Open surgery, the Dr took out a lot of scar tissue to thin out my septum & put rib in to support it b/c he took out a lot of the original. He added graphs in my nose and raised the tip slightly. The surgery was 5 hours. The cast is off & the tip of my nose protrudes more than I like & is bigger. I wanted a very subtle change and am worried it won't go down. I also can't really smile fully and my nose is numb. Should I worry? Will it go down?

Nose may look bigger immediately after rhinoplasty surgery, which improves with time

+2

Hi CD Asian in Chicago,

You've described a rhinoplasty procedure with many components, as a result the nasal tissue will be appropriately swollen. As a result, the nose may appear larger or bigger than anticipated. Numbness is expected too. Most nasal swelling resolves within one month, generally. The remaining swelling gradually improves very slowly over several months. Eight days is way too early to judge anything. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon about any concerns.

Dr. C

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose swollen 1 weeks after nose kob

+2

Your nose is swollen and this will subside with time. It may take 6 months to see the results but try and be patient. Call you surgeon to reassure you and discuss your concerns. It is very common to see the observations you describe in the early post-operative period. Should the nose become suddenly reddened, more swollen, tender, etc , you may want to call your surgeon on a more urgent basis.

Tip Swollen and Numbness 8 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sure you are a very talented and observant lady, but 8 days after surgery nobody on the face of the earth can predict the final appearance of your nose. Temporary loss of skin sensation can occur after rhinoplasty. Be patient, stay in contact with your surgeon, and share your concerns.

Swelling Soon After Rhinoplasty Surgery Will Take Time To Resolve

+1

The swelling you describe one week after your rhinoplasty is not unusual, especially for a long surgery such as yours.

In my experience, it takes 6-12 months for the nose to settle in after rhinoplasty....be patient!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

It is still very soon after your surgery, and important to be patient. The final result of a rhinoplasty will not be evident for 18-24 months. 70% of the swelling is resolved after three months, and dissipates gradually over the remaining time. 8 days after, you will be very swollen. At this point, it is important for you to communicate any concerns to your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Wait, Wait, Wait. Way too early to be so concerned. If the surgery was that long your swelling will take months to decrease. Call the surgeon to discuss the healing time. INFORMED CONSENT is the problem!

Asian open rhinoplasty

+1

Your numbness and problem with smiling are transient problems that will resolve in a few weeks.  The appearance of your nose will evolve over the next several months.  A revision of the tip and other structures is always an option in the event that your result is not acceptable in your eyes.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

1 week post rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling and numbness are the norm after a rhinoplasty especially at 1 week post.  Give it some time to improve.

Swelling 8 days after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its normal to have swelling and numbness 8 days after rhinoplasty. I would wait at least 4 to 6 weeks for all the major swelling to dissipate at that point if your nose still looks too large then you might want to ask your surgeon if he thinks the graft is too high.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Swelling is common 8 days after rhinoplasty

+1

Open technique rhinoplasty, especially with dorsal and tip cartilage grafts does result in longer swelling of the tip, and numbness of the tip is always expected. Eight days is too soon to judge and chances are that the tip and bridge of the nose will settle down.

peterejohnsonmd