Round Tip Swelling After Septorhinoplasty

Hi. I had a septorhinoplasty 18 months ago. There has always been slight asymmetry of the tip since the procedure, with a rounded swelling on one side. Over the last week the round swelling has become more prominent, and there are more irregularities when I rub over the tip. Is it possible for me to have caused some damage to cause this? Thanks.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the irregular tip. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Without pictures, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Post rhinoplasty

It may take up to 18 months for swelling to resolve after rhinoplasty.  Things may show up that was not noticed prior to this time as the swelling goes down.  You probably did nothing to produce this.  Discuss with your surgeon your concerns.  Donald R Nunn MD Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

After plastic surgery as with any other surgery there is visible swelling afterward. This takes on more significance in plastic surgery because the goal is a specific visual appearance. As the swelling resolves asymmetries and undesireable surface contours may appear. This is especially so for rhinoplasty and liposuction. With liposuction you can sometimes see an initially good result but as the swelling resolves and damaged fat cells absorb uneven surface contours or indents appear. This can take as long as 3 months after the liposuction.

Never having seen you or a photo of you and not knowing exactly what surgery was performed it is impossible to say if this is sugical residual becoming more visible as the swelling resolves.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

120 South Spalding
Beverly Hills, CA 90212