How Much More Improvement Can I Expect in the Tip 2 Months After Rhinoplasty?

tip is slightly upturned 2 months after closed rhinoplasty. I miss the pointy tip I used to have. Its been two months, how much more improvement can I expect to see in the following months? Will my tip more defined with time?

Tip of Nose after Rhinoplasty Improves for a Full Year

+5

Thank you for your question. Be sure to speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

Swelling of the nasal tip always occurs after Rhinoplasty and takes a very long time to resolve.

In my experience, final tip result is not complete until about one year after Rhinoplasty.

Nasal Improvement 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will continue to improve 2 months after surgery. How much depends on many factors including what was done, was your surgery a revision operation,  were grafts necessary, and how thick is your nasal skin?  Be patient and discuss with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty Swelling in Tip after 2 months

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty is one of the most common questions. Two months after rhinoplasty surgery is still very early to appreciate results. The nose will continue to change gradually over time.

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Time is the best treatment for nasal swelling after cosmetic surgery. Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistent swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose. Don't hesitate to speak to your plastic surgeon about any swelling.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

More tip definition over time.

+1

The short answer is "yes." Tip definition will continue to sharpen and gain definition for many, many months...even beyond a year. This is even more true for thicker-skinned patients.

In fact, a worry many of us have (or should have) is too much definition of the tip early on. It could mean too pointy a tip later on, giving it an unnatural or "surgical" look.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after rhinoplasty

+1

While all patients heal at slightly different rates, in general I tell my patients that it takes about 6 weeks for 80% or so of the swelling to resolve after rhinoplasty, and then another 6-12 months for the remaining 20% to go down, but this varies based on the the type of procedure, the quality of your skin, and the area of the nose.  Typically, the tip on patients with thick, oily skin takes the longest to settle, and I think at 2 months after your procedure you can still expect some swelling to go down.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Tip swelling takes 6-12 months to completely resolve after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

Your nasal tip will keep swelling for the longest period of time. You'll know when the swelling has completely resolved when your tip feels soft and mobile. For more specific advice, please email or post photos along with a description of your concerns.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon