Will a Tip Rhinoplasty Be Sufficient for my Nose? I Don't Want a Drastic Change.

I have more cartilage on the left side than on the right side of my nose tip. From what I can tell the bridge is narrower on one side than the other. I also have a nose hump which doesn't bother me as much. I want minimal appearance change, just enough so that it doesnt look bulbous. What do you suggest?

Will tip rhinoplasty alone be enough?

+1

Thank you for sending your question and photograph. As others have stated it is important that the tip and the entire nose be in Harmony. While a tip rhinoplasty alone may suffice you need a consultation and examination by an expert rhinoplasty surgeon to fully answer your question.

Tip rhinoplasty for subtle change

+1

In the far majority of cases, full rhinoplasty must be performed on a nose. There are a few rare cases in which only the tip plasty is needed. The remainder of the nose must be perfect prior to undergoing elective tip plasty procedure. There are many different techniques for the nose and it is extremely important that once the new tip is shaped, it matches and balances with the remainder of the nose. If not, you will have to undergo another rhinoplasty procedure to make the remainder of the nose balance with the new tip.

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

All rhinoplasty surgery should be individualized to meet the needs of each patient. Investigate your options before deciding what you want to change - limiting the work to a tip-plasty may be appropriate for you.

Tip rhinoplasty vs conventional rhinoplasty

+1

You can separate surgery to the tip, vs surgery of the tip and the bridge, based on your wishes and priorities.  So the answer is that the tip has one dynamic from surgery, and the bridge a second.  While they both blend together to the overall balance of the nose, they can be addressed separately. 

Your concerns in total are typical of a conventional "full" rhinoplasty though.  We usually apply techniques to the tip and bridge with most surgeries, and those concerns you bring up are the most common issues presented in rhinoplasty.  So you need to prioritize your irregularities, discuss them with your surgeon, realize the cost differential, and then decide what is best for you.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to perform only a tip rhinoplasty and not change the remainder of the nose. You should discuss your wishes with your plastic surgeon and understand all the options before you decide on your surgical preferences.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Difficult to say what the rest of your nose looks like as we dont have a profile view, but from what you are telling us it sounds like you would need the upper 2/3 of your nose addressed as well.  It may be that if you have your tip addressed, then it may be out of proportion to the rest of your nose.

Just my opinion, good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Subtle Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi ma,

I am afraid that if you only have your tip refined, once you have healed one year down the line, you will appear to have a large, wide upper 2/3's of your nose that will be very noticeable.  Discuss your concerns with your prospective rhinoplasty surgeons.  Sticking with a minimal change approach, you can have minimal changes to your left lower lateral cartilages (tip), and perhaps a small graft or post-op injection of filler into the depressed left middle 1/3, with slight rasping of your lateral wings of the nasal bones.  Most importantly choose our rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tip rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

On the one hand you describe numerous problems with the nose that are not limited to the tip but on the other hand, you say the tip is the only thing that concerns you. A tip rhinoplasty will only reshape the tip and do nothing for the depressed left side in the middle one third of the nose or the hump. If this doesn't not bother you and you are willing to accept the displaced left side and the hump, then a tip rhinoplasty alone could provdie you with a limited degree of improvement 

Nasal tip work

+1

Every nose is a bit asymmetric.  It is hard to say what you would need from just one photo.  A full exam is really important.