Tip Revision After 7 Months Post-op?

I'm about 7 months post op and I was wondering if it would be too soon to do a revision of my tip. I like the angle of my original tip better and my "new tip" looks completely unnatural and makes me look unlike my original self. If I just wanted to have my tip lowered back to where it was, can I have a revision at 7 months? Its the only thing that's really bothering me!! I really don't like it this raised, it doesn't work for me!

Tip Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Everyone heals at different rates following surgery, but as a general rule I would recommend that you wait at least 6-12 months after a primary rhinoplasty before having a revision surgery. Of all of the parts of the nose, your nasal tip will most take the longest amount of time to heal completely so don’t jump in to a revision surgery too soon. It is difficult to say what a revision surgery may achieve in your particular case without a photograph for review.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello,  I am in agreement with the other contributors and it is during this time that some hand holding is in order.  Your should wait for at least 1 year before considering revision.  There are several factors which may have caused your swelling to persist.  Many patients with thickened skin over the nasal tip will experience prolonged swelling or if there was an episode which may have caused additional swelling in the immediate post-operative period.. ex. infection.  Upon waiting for the recommended time period and the swelling has not reduced to your liking it is imperative that any revision be done by a experienced cosmetic surgeon.  I have found that these cases are the more difficult ones to manage.  I wish you luck and hopefully this will resolve and revision won't be necessary. 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Right time to perform a rhinoplasty revision

+1

Nasal revision surgery is best attempted 12-18 months following the initial surgery. At this juncture in time, the nose has reached a stable state in terms of healing and swelling. Waiting the allotted time will afford you the best chance of having a successful revision procedure.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Nose Tip Revision 7 Months Post-Operation

+1

Dear Ckidd1473,

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with your results.

Usually, rhinoplasty revisions are best performed at 12-14 months post surgery as far as final results are established. This way, the surgeon will be able to base the revision on relatively fixed facial dimensions.

Nonetheless and based on the delicate nature of rhinoplasty revisions, I recommend that you do start your search for an extensively experienced surgeon in that field who will physically examine you so you can build a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tip Revision 7 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

It would be easier to answer your question if you provided a picture. However it is usually better to wait for about 1 year after the primary operation to revise the tip which does take longer to heal. Consultation and examination by a revision rhinoplasty surgeon will help you decide when to have additional surgery.

Revision Time

+1

The time to revise rhinoplasty is twelve months after the last nose job.  Any sooner efforts would not be fair to you since healing and swelling occurs for about a year.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision tip angle 7 months after surgery

+1

It sounds like your tip is more upturned that you'd like since surgery. Though the position may be stable and not improving anymore, the main issue is whether your tip skin has healed enough to allow for repeat surgery. There may still be scar/swelling present which can make it more difficult to manipulate the tip during revision. It's possible that your tip has healed enough and a revision could be consider early; an examination of your nose would allow for a better assessment as to whether this is possible.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tip revison at 7 months

+1

At 7 months, it still may be too early to undergo a tip revision.  If the tip is at all swollen or firm, it may be difficult to manipulate the soft tissues to properly contour them.

Tip Revision at 7 months should be okay

+1

In most cases, it should be fine to have your tip revised after 7 months. It is commonly stated that healing doesn't fully mature until 1 year, but the differences between 7 months and 1 year are slight. If it's pretty clear that your result is not what you wanted then waiting longer is not necessary. This is an entirely different question if your surgery was 1 month ago.

I would suggest talking to your original surgeon about this, or going with someone who has experience with revision rhinoplasty surgery. Thanks and take care.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon