Does Tip Refinement Result in a Tip Becoming More Elevated?

Hi, I have a boxy, bulbous tip that I would like refined to a more slim almond-shape. I currently like the elevation of my tip, and I'm satisfied with the amount of nostril show I have from the front view, but I'm wondering if tip refinement will result in my tip being pulled up more..which is something I don't want. For what it's worth, I am of Middle Eastern descent and have thick skin. Thank you!

Tip Refinement in Middle Eastern Nose Does NOT Need to Elevate Tip

+3

You ask a very important question. It is critical especially in Middle Eastern patients to not over-rotate the tip while refining it. I have written on this topic in numerous textbook chapters and articles on Middle Eastern Rhinoplasty because it is so important to not erase ones ethnicity. Producing too much tip rotation is a problem I see a lot in noses that I have to revise.  The tip can be shaped and refined without tip rotation however, you should discuss thoroughly with your surgeon on whether tip repositioning of any sort may benefit your overall nasal harmony.  Please do your research very completely and closely look at before after pictures and meet with several surgeons.  You do NOT want to go to someone who does not show you a lot of pictures of a variety of nasal types and ethnicities and who hides the front view. The front view is the most telling view that reveals the skill of your surgeon because simply removing a hump on the bridge is quite easy compared to subtle tip refining in a customized manner.  The links below may help. Good luck.

Tip Refinement

+1

The optimal way to tip refinement is to do an open approach using multiple suture techniques and, if needed, a lip graft may be indicated in patients with 1. thick skin, 2. male, or 3. in Ethnic rhinoplasty patients. This helps to re-shape and elevate the nasal tip for finesse tip refinement.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Nose tip refinement

+1

Upper tip rotation usually does not occur at the time of primary rhinoplasty when narrowing the nasal tip.  In a few select patients there can be a very slight (1-2 mm) elevation that is very miniscule.  Refinement of the tip has to be performed by either removal of tip cartilage, sewing the tip cartilages together, or a combination of both.  The thick skin can be an ongoing postoperative issue which most likely will necessitate several cortisone shots in the postoperative period to the supertip area of the nose to prevent the tip from becoming more swollen.  

+1

Thank you for your question. Tip refinement is a general term. Per your preferences, rhinoplasty can improve tip shape without necessarily elevating the tip. Communicate your preferences clearly to your surgeon. Your skin thickness, ethnicity, and desire to preserve certain nasal characteristics can and should be factored in when your surgeon develops a surgical plan. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Tip refinement in the Middle Eastern nose

+1

It is possible to refine the tip without causing greater upward rotation (or "pulling up") of the tip. Tip refinement is a term that can include many different techniques. Commonly performed steps to address a boxy tip include cephalic trim of the lower lateral cartilages, and various suture techniques to alter the shape of the tip. Tip rotation, tip projection, the relationship of the tip to the dorsum, and nasolabial angle are also important factors in what makes a nose attractive, and each of these can be altered as needed. Thick skin at the tip is common in patients of Middle Eastern descent, and this can make it harder to appreciate the underlying structure or small changes in the tip. The best thing you can do is tell your surgeon what you like about your nose and what you dislike about it, and be very clear about your goals. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Nasal tip refinement and tip position

+1
Nasal tip size, shape, and position tend to be related variables, but also may be independently controlled during rhinoplasty. Be sure your surgeon understands your desired result, and agrees that he or she expects to accomplish at least a close approximation.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tip refinement without tip elevation

+1

Your question raises two important issues.  The first issue is whether you can modify a boxy tip without upwardly rotating the tip.  Many of the steps uses in tip refinement during rhinoplasty often times can lead to slight to significant upward rotation of the nasal tip.  Awareness of the fact that you like the current position of your tip will enable your surgeon to perform tip refinement without tip elevation.  The second point that you bring up is that you have relatively thick skin.  Your thick skin likely contributes to the appearance of your boxy tip.  I would spend some time with your rhinoplasty surgeon discussing realistic expectations with regards to what you can expect as a final result given the relative thickness of your nasal skin and how much refinement you can expect.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement in rhinoplasty

+1
Tip refinement in rhinoplasty can certainly be performed without elevating the tip. I would be careful when choosing a surgeon who is an expert in rhinoplastic surgery. Computerized video imaging will also help with the pre-op consultation to make sure you are both on the same page. Ask to see photos of patients your doctor has done in the past . Thicker skin can be a problem in sculpting tips , however, a skilled surgeon knows how to optimize the results.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Tip Refinement Surgery

+1

A tip refinement procedure does not necessarily have to change the tip rotation at all. It is a procedure often best designed to reshape a bulbous tip to a more refined shape. If done properly, this is something I can maintain your ethnic features while also reshaping your nose to a more attractive look. Ensure that you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to get the best results.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rotation with Tip Refinement

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery should always be individualized to meet the needs and desires of the patient and surgeon. I''ve never done two noses exacly the same. A bulbous tip with thick skin can be refined without increasing rotation if that is the desired result.