Can I Have a Tip Refinement Instead of Full Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Can I Have a Tip Refinement Instead of Full Rhinoplasty?

+2
Good question. Rhinoplasty is a surgery that should be tailored to each individual. Each individual has different issues with their nose and different expectations. I am not sure what you mean by “full rhinoplasty”. We always analyze the nose in relationship to your face. Sometimes doing a tip rhinoplasty without addressing the nose comprehensively might not yield the best results. In particular, you might want to take down your nasal dorsum slightly but of course that is a decision you should make yourself with your surgeon's advice. Also, if a surgeon is already operating on your nose, you may want to take advantage of the opportunity to correct all the aspects of your nose that can be corrected. The last thing you want is to have your tip refined and suddenly no longer like the rest of your nose and then want a second surgery. You can ask your surgeon to show you some digital images of the projected post operative pictures where he manipulates the tip vs tip and other work as well. That may help you make your decision. Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

Yes, the surgery can be limited to the tip only in your case. In my opinion, however, it would be nice to lower your bridge and narrow the nose a bit also. If you just do the tip, I think it will accentuate the size of your nasal bridge. I prefer a balanced approach which would include the tip and the bridge in proper proportions.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

Yes, you can have tip refinement alone.  The result will not look like the goal pictures posted.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty; tip only?

+1

Hi blove, as a plastic surgeon who likes to do noses, I am grateful and lucky to have spent time with Dr. Jack Sheen, a giant in the field of rhinoplasty in the 80's and 90's and the first plastic surgeon to really emphasize balance and aesthetic concepts in the nose. He stated that taking something away from the nose in one area would affect the appearance of another area of the nose and throw the structure out of balance often making the untreated part look disproportionate and too large in comparison to the area that was treated. It would throw off the relationships of one part with another. There are cases that may not need work on the bridge; where one can just do the tip but one should proceed with caution. I believe in making each nose unique to the persons face and listen to their specific aesthetic objectives. We have a Vectra 3D imager that we use for nose, face and body consultations which is a fantastic and esential communication tool. You haven't stated why you want to leave your bridge and dorsum alone but this is important to know. Plastic surgery requires both the right and left brain in being a very technical and artistic endeavor. Most importantly, you should seek out a surgeon who listens and communicates clearly to you who has experience and good judgement in nose procedures. By the way, the pictures were well done but rather than discuss specifics, I recommend that you come in for a consultation and discuss your expectations.

David R. Stephens, MD

Megan Fox nose

+1
The tip of your nose can be refined with surgery without addressing other portions of your nose. Plastic surgeons can't make you look exactly like Megan Fox, but we can certainly help to narrow your tip! Thanks you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Limited Rhinoplasty with just Tip Refinement

+1

You can do whatever you want but based on the pictures you submitted I strongly suggest that you speak to an experienced rhinoplasty specialist and consider all your options. You have the opportunity for a very nice result if you do more than just the tip.

Tip refinement

+1

Yes, many patients having rhinoplasty just need tip refinement and nothing else needs to be done to the bridge.  You do have a slight hump on the bridge of your nose but if that does not bother you it can be left alone.

Sam Naficy, MD

Tip rhinoplasty is sometimes the procedure of choice when changing the appearance of the nose.

+1

I think you are a satisfactory candidate for tip rhinoplasty. There is a slight dorsal elevation which is quite modest. I think video imaging would give you some idea what to expect.

Tip-plasty versus full rhinoplasty

+1

There are very, very few patients who can undergo a simple tip-plasty. When performing surgery on the tip of the nose, it is important to make sure the remainder of the nose  is perfectly balanced, just like in the model pictures.   To obtain a result showed in the model pictures, a full rhinoplasty as required.  A full rhinoplasty with address balancing the bridge line  to accept the new nasal tip, narrowing the nostrils with an alar-plasty, reducing the columellar show and balancing all the nasal components with  themselves and your facial features. This can be accomplished through closed rhinoplasty techniques. For examples, please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery link below

Probably a tip refinement wouldn't be best for your nose

+1

It's only the rarest of cases where you can work *only* on the tip. Changing the tip's appearance also changes what we think of the other parts of the nose, and they almost always have to be adjusted so the nose matches aesthetically. See my "Web reference" link for a morph of what changes I see for your nose.

Besides the strong tip cartilages, the bridge of your nose is strong in its forward projection away from the face, particularly at the top of the nose, where the nose begins just below the eyebrows. In my morph, I reduced the strength of your nose up there, reduced the width of the tip. Then, I moved the tip a little closer to your face as well, because that's a change that often happens when we're narrowing a tip. And I elevated the tip a small amount, so it doesn't cover your upper lip as much on the frontal view. Then I tucked up the columella, which is the part of the nose between the left nostril and the right nostril. That part can be brought up a small amount, decreasing the amount of the inside of your nose that is visible from the profile view.

The doctor you consider using for your surgery should be able to put together for you all of the aesthetic areas that you notice, and show you how changing those areas have implications for the *rest* of the nose.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon