Will The Look Of My Over Projected Tip Change With Healing TIme?

I had rhinoplasry 2 weeks ago to get rid of a hump and to reduce the tip projection. The tip today still looks long and I was wondering it projection changes usually with healing as swelling goes down or if the projection is not really affected. Thank you

+3

I have performed Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years and the semantics of Rhinoplasty are sometimes difficult.  Tip projection is how far, off the face, the nasal tip extends.  Having the nose appear long is a function of an under-rotated nasal tip.  IMHO, neither of these, an under-rotated tip or an over-projected tip, will improve over time.  Rhinoplasty has post op swelling that can and does mask the ultimate results however, nasal tip position is what it is immediately...with the exception that an over-rotated tip may drop slightly after months...but never the reverse.

Tip projection

+3

Sometimes there is added tip projection with swelling just after surgery. As the swelling comes down, so may some of the projection.

It sometimes takes many months for the tip of the nose to completely heal after rhinoplasty.

+3

The architecture of the skin of the tip of the nose is different for the upper 2/3.  Because of this difference, the tip can retain swelling for a long time obscuring definition and appearing large.  Occasionally steroid injections are indicated but most of the time it's best to leave it to nature.

Nasal Deprojection

+2

You likely still have nasal swelling following your surgery making it difficult to assess the outcome of your surgery.  If you communicated what you wanted with your surgeon preoperatively, it is likely that he/she did what you wanted and that these results will be more visible once the swelling subsides.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nasal shape will change with healing

+2

Due to swelling in the upper lip (which supports and projects the nasal tip), it is entirely normal to look overprotected and over rotated for 4-6 weeks after rhinoplasty. Your nose will likely settle.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Projection 2 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+2

The normal, temporary swelling present 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty makes it very difficult for you to evaluate the ultimate appearance of your nose. At this stage the tip frequently looks over-projected and over-rotated. Be patient and share your concerns with your surgeon.

Tip projection improve with healing

+1

Two weeks from surgery is quite early so I would expect your tip to evolve from here. It's hard to be specific without seeing your nose. I would talk with your surgeon to find out how much change you should expect

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tip projection

+1

Without before and after photos the only reliable comment that can be made is that you are definitely swollen and things will change. Talk to your surgeon about what was done to change your projection to reassure yourself.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healiong

+1

Without pictures it is impossible to tell. Many time the tip drops as the nose heals. I think you will need to wait this one out

David A. Bray, Sr., MD