Do I need a tip-plasty?

I feel that my nose is too wide for my face. The profile isn't bad but the bridge is narrow and the tip flares out quite a bit. It also looks fairly large when I smile. Honest answers please, I want professional advice!

Do I need a tip-plasty?

+1
  From your description alone, tip refinement sounds reasonable, but pictures are very helpful in these evaluations.

Tip rhinoplasty

+1
The short answer to your question is that yes it sounds like you would benefit from a limited tip rhinoplasty. That being said sometimes when the tip is refined and/or narrowed, the middle and upper third may appear wider or higher and some minor dorsal work may also be required. This is not an absolute but it is possible you may need that area of your nose treated as well. As far as the tip flaring when you smile, it is possible you might also need an alar base reduction where the nostrils are brought in slightly especially as the tip is made smaller. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip-plasty?

+1
The areas you are concerned about are frequently improved with a tip plasty or a full rhinoplasty. Whether you should have the procedure is a personal decision only you can make. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty

+1
Without a photos, it is hard to say.  All noses pull out a bit when people smile. That is normal.  Best to be seen in person to determine what can be offered.

Tip rhinoplasty candidate

+1
Most patients must undergo a full rhinoplasty, not a tip rhinoplasty. On a rare occasion a tip  rhinoplasty can be performed, however it's important to make sure the remainder of the nose is within balance. The tip rhinoplasty procedure involves suture techniques to the lower lateral cartilages and sometimes cartilage removal if the tip cartilage is excessively wide and thick. For many examples, please see link below to our rhinoplasty photo Gallery

Tip plasty operation

+1
A tip-plasty operation refers to a rhinoplasty with the sole purpose for tip refinement, thus altering the shape of the lower lateral cartilages. Narrowing the nasal base requires separate incisions and can also be performed. I recommend seeking a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to learn more.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Photos needed.

+1
From your description it sounds like your tip may be improved with a tip rhinoplasty with alar base reduction (nostril reduction), but really hard to say without photos or an in person consultation.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a tip-plasty?

+1
It is hard to say whether or not you would benefit from a tipplasty without seeing you or seeing photos of you.  If you wish to send photos, you would receive more detailed information.

Tip plasty or full rhinoplasty?

+1
It is impossible to answer this question without seeing photographs of what your nose  looks like. I would need to see photos as well as an examination to give you a proper answer.  Face forward and profile photos are preferred. 

Disproportionate?

+1
You would obviously need to be examined but if what you describe is the case, there certaily changes that could be made to narrow the base and/or tip.  Be sure your surgeon demonstrates any proposed changes with computerized imaging so you understand the likely outcome.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon