Tip Plasty vs Alarplasty? (photo)

i am a mixed asian with somewhat harsh/sharp features. after losing some weight on my face through puberty, i have found that the round nose doesn't really match. the tip is very bulbous/round and my alars seem thick and wide. i would very much appreciate a doctor's opinion on the base of my nose. would a tip-plasty help with the bulbous appearance and match with the rest of my face or would a alar base reduction procedure be better ? or perhaps both?

Asian rhinoplasty

+2

The picture that you have attached is a bit blurry however it does appear that you would benefit from a rhinoplasty. Since no profile photograph is available a better assessment is difficult.  I would suggest a consultation with a surgeon to have a full examination and proper evaluation. I personally do a lot of asian rhinoplasty in my practice and with a full evaluation I would be able to give you a proper diagnosis and surgical plan. Alarplasty is done after  all the other surgical alterations are made if it is needed. This would be determined during consultation. I personally use a digital imaging computer and I am able to show my consulting patients the proposed surgical result prior to their procedure. With this said, at that time I am able to give a proper surgical plan and discuss the procedures needed to have the proposed outcome. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Asian Rhinoplasty

+2

The concerns you voice are very common amongst Asian and mixed-Asian patients.  Although I only see 1 limited view of your nose here, it appears that you could benefit from enhanced tip definition and perhaps alar base reduction if you find that your nostrils flare with smiling.  My goal is always to achieve a natural and balanced result that fits the rest of your face.  Please consult with a board certified Asian Rhinoplasty specialist who can best help you achieve the results you seek.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/asianrhinoplasty

Tip-Plasty vs Alarplasty

+2

Minimal refinement of your tip will make it more proportional to the rest of your nose and the surrounding facial features. I would need a picture of the base of your nose and another to show me the location of the corner of your eyes before recommending an alarplasty to narrow the base of your nose.

Rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Dear gummybearx1,

A tip plasty would help with the bulbous appearance

Alar base reductions are only done on a minority of patients and is often the last thing we do in rhinoplasty after everything else is set

A profile pic or an in person consultation would help tell you if you could expect to have base reductions

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Tip vs alarm lastly

+2

Based on your photos, I would recommend only a tip plasty as your alar base is not too wide.  Also an alar base resection would narrow your nostrils too much.  I would plan on putting in a cartilage tip graft to give you more tip definition as well.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Tip Plasty vs Alarplasty? (photo)

+2

Perhaps both alarplasty and tip plasty would help in your case; it looks as if you have thick skin, so the type of tip plasty would depend on intraoperative results.  I'd do that first and after satisfied with the tip would decide if you still need the alar resections.  Making a tip more narrow, projected, and triangular sometimes obviates the need for alar wedge resections.

Tip-plasty vs Alarplasty

+1

A tip plasty can be performed on an Asian nose to narrow and refine the nasal tip.  This will involve suturing the tip cartilages together without removal of cartilage in the Asian nose.  Thick oily skin is often a limiting factor in how much refinement can be achieved in Asian noses.  An alar reduction can also be performed through the alarplasty procedure to narrow the base of the nose.  Both the alarplasty and tip plasty can be performed separately or together depending upon patient’s needs, wishes, and desires.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Judging from the photos you sent, I think your nose is pretty cute as it is.  If I saw you I person, I might have a different opinion, but from the photos, I would leave your nose alone.

Web reference: http://edelsonplastic.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photos are of limited help because they are only one view and the second is out of focus. The second looks like a photo of a photo and a different person. You can make the tip less round by placing shaping sutures in the tip cartilages and applying a shield shaped cartilage graft to the dome of the tip. I doubt that an alar base reduction would be helpful. The first photo also looks like structural support cartilage grafts are also required to keep the nostrils open.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty in Southern California

+1

If you provide a profile picture, it would offer a better view of your nose and easier for us to make a proper recommendation. However, based on your limited frontal pictures, I would recommend a refinement of nasal tip. Your nasal tip appears to be under projected and bulbous. Regarding alar base reduction, few more photos are required to make that judgment. I would suggest you to have a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area. Good luck...

Web reference: http://www.orangecountynosejob.com