Is Tip Plasty the Right Procedure for a Bulbous, Wide Nose?

I find that my nose becomes very bulbous and wide, particularly when smiling and I was hoping that this could be refined to become more defined and smaller. Is this possible and also what may this procedure cost? Is it wise to go to cheaper countries which are not as accustomed to caucasian features? I have a straight nasal bridge. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Right procedure for a bulbous wide nose

+1

A tip plasty is a procedure whereby the tip cartilages are refined and narrowed through multiple different techniques, such as interdomal and intradomal suturing. Occasionally tip cartilage is removed when found to be in excess. This narrows the tip itself from being bulbous. The wide nostril base can be adjusted through alarplasty incisions at the floor of the nose. The Weir alarplasty incisions usually remove 4-5 mm of skin on each side of the nose to create the rhinoplasty change.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

+1

Maybe. Without seeing the rest of your face and examining you it is difficult to say. One would not want to narrow your tip at the expense of making your nasal bridge look wider. I believe an aesthetically pleasing nose has a hourglass shape from the front. Rhinoplasty is challenging and I wouldn't select a surgeon based upon price. Afterall, you would pay much more for an automobile that would depreciate rapidly. This is your face, and you want to get it right the first time and for a long time.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous, Wide Nose

+1

A good rhinoplasty operation is modified to meet the needs of each individual patient. Your surgery can be limited to a tip-plasty if desired. Don't shop price in a different country - if a revision is necessary, the final cost will be significantly more. The most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the best, but cost should not be the only consideration.

Tip plasty or entire rhinoplasty.

+1

All you need is a tip plasty to do what you want. I would not try to save money by going to countries that do cheap surgery. Once a nose is butchered it is very difficult and costly to fix.

Bulbous-Tip Rhinoplasty and Flared-Nostril Rhinoplasty

+1

If your sole concern is a bulbous tip, then a rhinoplasty procedure on just the tip (or tip plasty) is appropriate.

It is hard to tell from the photos submitted, but the nostrils may be a bit flared causing a "bulbous-ness" of the nostrils. A consultation is required to better determine both your goals and our findings on examination.

When looking at the base of the nose from below (the "worm's eye view"), two things can cause this widened or bulbous appearance of the nostril rims:

1. Re-curvature of the nostril rim toward the middle of the nose before inserting onto the face
  2. Excess length of the nostril rim (and possibly it's underlying framework)

In either case, a carefully-designed procedure to remove excess tissue and/or re-insert the nostrils onto the cheek can help improve the appearance.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Web reference: http://www.coloradoplasticsurgery.com/nose.aspx

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tip shape and shift with smiling

+1

It is normal for the base of the nose to widen slightly with a full smile and your picture is very normal. The tip also looks fairly good in the single view. What rhinoplasty can improve is a 'tension' tip which tends to pull down toward the lip when smiling causing the nose to appear longer.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Tip rhinoplasty

+1

A tip rhinoplasty can help with a bulbous tip but it is quite normal that th nose widens a bit with smiling.  If your nose is not wide in repose, I would not alter it.

Tip rhinoplasty

+1

A tip rhinoplasty is a very effective procedure to help the shape of the nasal tip.  It is a pretty easy recovery as well.  It will not change the bridge of the nose or the width of the nasal bones. 

The best thing to do is find a local surgeon that will listen to your concerns and give you the change that you want.  Any possible savings by leaving the country will be lost by not having a close follow-up with your surgeon.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip rhinoplasty could be an option...

+1

Hello Sydney6773,

Thanks for your question.  I agree that for an isolated tip irregularity or bulbous tip, a tip rhinoplasty could be a great procedure.  If you are concerned with alar flaring when you smile, then a well-executed alar base narrowing procedure may also help.  Be wary of leaving your home country to try and get cheaper plastic surgery.  I see my patients very frequently in the first year because it can take a full year for a rhinoplasty to completely heal and things change with time.  You don't want to find yourself at home with a problem that no surgeon wants to deal with or that you will have to pay extra to have fixed.  I hope this answer helps.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Web reference: http://www.shahrhinoplasty.com/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty For Bulbous Tip

+1

Certainly, for a patient with a bulbous tip, a tip rhinoplasty would be an appropriate procedure to undergo. However, travelling out of the country because it is cheaper is not recommmended.  Their can be alot of follow-up after a rhinoplasty, and not having direct access to your surgeon is never a good idea.  I would look for a surgeon in your area, even if he/she is an hour or two away.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon