Tip-plasty Under IV Sedation?

Hi there. I was wondering if Rhinoplasty when changing just the tip (Tip-plasty) can be done under IV Sedation? Under IV, are you mostly awake, and cannot feel anything? How effective is it to completely change the tip of the nose? Can it narrow the tip as well? Thank you in advance.

Tip-plasty under IV Sedation

+2

A tip-plasty can be done wih IV sedation. You will not feel pain because local anesthesia is also used. The type of anesthesia will have no effect what is done to your tip. Relax and look forward to your surgery.

Tip-plasty can be done under IV Sedation

+1

A good experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can effectively improve the contour of the tip of the nose. It is important that the contour of your nose fit the features of your face. A surgeon’s aesthetic sense is imperative. There are many techniques that can be employed to change the contour of the tip of the nose. The surgeon who performs this work should have these techniques in his or her armamentarium to employ as appropriate in each case.

Rhinoplasty can easily be performed under IV sedation. We perform almost all of our rhinoplasty procedures with conscious sedation techniques (IV sedation). Patients are not aware of what is taking place, they have no sensation or pain, and they have no recall of the procedure. In our experience, these procedures are performed in this manner because they are extremely well tolerated by the patient and they have a much smoother postoperative course. We work with anesthesiologists who have mastered the IV sedation technique.

Rhinoplasties can also be performed with strictly local anesthesia, but I do not recommend doing so in the current era. On the other hand, if deemed desirable, a minimal nasal tip-plasty can easily be performed with local anesthesia.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip work has a major affect on rhinoplasty outcomes

+1

Surgery of the nasal tip can be performed under local and IV sedation. However, the tip has a profound effect on the appearance of the nose and the final result of a rhinoplasty. My personal preference is to perform tip work under a general anesthetic in most cases to ensure the placement of tissues in the precise position for optimal result .

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty under IV sedation

+1

Although rhinoplasty may be done under an IV sedation, I prefer to use general anesthesia. It is the best option for the patient and they will be more comfortable. Tip work is very effective, and may yield excellent results when performed by a highly skilled reconstructive surgeon. It is possible to reduce the size of the tip if you feel it is too bulbous. Weir incisions may be performed, and also narrow the dorsum or it will look off balance with a smaller tip and ala and a wide dorsum. Please feel free to send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Tip plasty and IV sedation

+1

Tip plasty (and rhinoplasty) may be performed under either general anesthesia or IV sedation. I generally choose based upon the extent of surgery needed, whether grafting will be necessary and whether any functional work to improve breathing is needed. Obviously, the desires and comfort level of the patient are considered. Discussing these options with your surgeon during consultation will help you arrive at the best solution for you.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and IV Sedation

+1

Hi Sport 2,

Yes, you may have tip plasty under local anesthesia with IV sedation. Once your nose is numbed with local anesthesia, any and/or all surgical rhinoplasty procedures may be performed without pain. The type of anesthesia does not dictate what can be achieved.

Although you may not feel any pain, you will likely feel some touch, and will hear the sounds of the operating room, though with IV sedation you will likely not remember much, if anything.

Most importantly, spend the time to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P in US

Michael A. Persky, MD

IV Sedation for Rhinoplasty

+1

IV sedation is a great anesthesia option for rhinoplasty. In our experience, it is safe, well tolerated, associated with less bleeding during the procedure and allows for a quick recovery afterwards (patients routinely walk out of our office surgery suite 90 minutes after completion of the procedure). Patients have no pain during the procedure and usually do not recall the procedure itself. Likelihood for nausea (and vomiting) is greately decreased. Therefore, I perform all rhinoplasties under IV sedation (except the complex case when rib cartilage has to be harvested).

This represents my personal experience. There are many plastic surgeons who routinely perform rhinoplasty under general anesthesia.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty can be done with IV sedation.

+1

In some patients I do this under local as well. It depends on the patient which they feel most comfortable with. It should not hurt either way.

Nasal tip plasty can be done under IV sedation

+1

Nasal tip plasty can be performed under either IV sedation or general anesthesia. The recovery is the same, as opposed to how it used to be years ago. Changes can be minor or major depending on your needs and how much you really want to change your nose. I find that computer imaging is very helpful in this part of the discussion with patients. We can explore minor changes and more dramatic changes and decide together which is best.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Tip-plasty can be done under Local IV Sedation

+1

Hi,

You can certainly have a tip-plasty under local IV sedation. IV sedation can have many different depths of sedation. The most mild sedation ( 2-3 mg of Versed) will make you comfortable and you will be mostly awake. This sedation will allow the surgeon to anesthetizes the tip of your nose. Once this is done, the operation can proceed without any pain and acceptable comfort. You also may not have any recollection of the procedure because Versed is an amnesic drug.Deeper forms of sedation are available, but minimal sedation is adequate for this type of procedure.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS