Why is the Tip of my Nose Swollen if I Just Had a Bump Shaved off on my Bridge?

I had Open Reduction Nasal Fracture surgery on July 26th, 2010. I broke my nose which led to the nose growing bumps on both sides of my bridge. I just had the bumps shaved off and absolutely NO work done on my tip. I still have swelling on both sides of my bridge. Now the question is... Why does my tip look bigger and why is it so numb? It also feels weird when i touch it. Is this normal?

Swelling and Numbness of Nasal Tip after Rhinoplasty

+2

During the first year following Rhinoplastty, there is a great deal of healing and remodeling of the tissues that occur.

Similarly, there is alteration of the sensation which improves as the swelling resolves. There are a number of nerves that supply sensation to the tip of the nose including anterior ethmoid nerve.

Please be patient and you will most likely experience an improvement.

Not uncommon for nasal tip to be swollen even without tip work

+1

Thank you for the question.  The nose is a small structure so it does not take much for swelling to be noticeable.  If you have had an open rhinoplasty, the incision at the columella and the dissection over the tip would result in the swelling and sensations that you describe.  The good news is that it will go away with time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tip Swelling after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

If you truly had an open rhinoplasty, an incision was made in the columella between the nostrils and the skin over the tip was elevated causing  the post-op swelling you describe. Even if you had a classical rhinoplasty with only intranasal incisions, temporary swelling is possible secondary to interrupted circulation.

+1

If you had an open rhinoplasty with an incision through the columella (between the nostrils) then the skin and soft tissue over the tip was dissected from the cartilage to give the surgeon access to the bridge.  Even though the tip may not have been modified, just dissecting through the area will lead to swelling just like any "open" rhinoplasty.  This swelling will resolve but may take a few months to go away completely.   The numbness will also resolve but may take months as well. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip swollen and numb after nose job

+1

This is fairly common after rhinoplasty and due to interference with the external branches of the anterior ethmoidal nerve. In many instances the sensation returns but may take several months to years. The swelling may take 6 months to resolve.