Can the Pointy Tip of my Nose Be Fixed After a Bad Revision?

I had primary rhinoplasty in 2008 and I was happy with the results, but the tip was assymetrical and the left side needed a minor touch-up. I had a secondary rhinoplasty in 2010. I had expressed to my doctor that I liked the shape of my nose but I wanted him to level the tip without resecting the tip cartlage. My doctor had other ideas and he ended up trimming the tip cartilages and removed some fatty tissue from both sides of the collumela. This changed the shape of the tip and made it pointy.

+2

Deprojecting your nose (bringing it closer to your face) will improve your profile and make the tip less pointy. A good analogy is a tent. If the tent pole is tall it will cause the tent to look stretched and pointy. If one shortens the tent pole, the tent will then become less stretched and widen at the apex.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing pointy nasal tip after prior revision

+2

Yes, I do think that your pointy nasal tip can be improved.

From your photos it appears that you have persistent right alar retraction and weakness of the right alar margin. Your tip also appears quite over-projected.

It is usually best to wait 1 year after your last surgery before undergoing a revision. This would allow the nose to heal further and makes the tissue planes less difficult to work with. In the meantime you could certainly discuss your option with a board certified fcaial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who has extensive revision rhinoplasty experience.

It would be very useful for your surgeon to see your prior operative reports to get a better sense of what has already been done to your nose

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2

The picturtes posted show severl problems with the nose.

Retracted right nosrtil probably due to over resection of the Lower lateral cartilage. There is also notching of the right nostril. Proper treatment is cartilage graft .

Pointed nose, can be lowered (though difficult with open rhinoplasty and lowering the tip, there are several techiques, suture techique or intercrural graft technique.

CONSULT A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)

Revision of nasal tip

+1

Your tip appears pointy in part because it is over-projected, over-rotated, and because you have a low bridge which makes the tip stick out oven more

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty for Tip Revision

+1

Yes it can, but this will take a surgeon highly experienced in revision rhinoplasty, and possibly the use of cartilage grafts and / or Goretex.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Over projected nose

+1

The problem seems to be the over projected tip which was also present after your primary surgery. The correction of the tip deformity which you wanted has exaggerated this problem. This could happen when cartilage is added to the tip or suturing of the nasal dome cartilages are done without appropriate reduction of the dorsum. The lower 2/3 of your dorsum has to be reduced to deproject the tip. From your frontal post revision surgery picture, the tip looks fine.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pointy Nasal Tip after Revisin Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry you did not achieve the desired results with the revision surgery. Your nose can be improved, but wait a year and this time select a true revision rhinoplasty specialist.

Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

From your photos, it appears that your nose is somewhat crooked and over-projected (too far away from your face), in addition to having an asymmetric, pointy tip.  All of these features can be improved significantly.  I would strongly suggest that you are evaluated by a Board-Certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in revision rhinoplasty procedures.  

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment may be used to add volume to the tip of your nose. Video attached.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. In my practice, a pointy nasal-tip after revision rhinoplasty may be widened using Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. You could also have your right nostril margin lowered to restore symmetry. In my view, you should try to avoid further nasal surgery, and leave another revision rhinoplasty as a last resort.

I've attached a link to some photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon