Tip As Hard As Rock?

Hi. My tip is as hard as rock and when i asked my surgeon he said its due to the many layers of cartilage all fused together. What does that mean? Is it going to ever go soft again? And will it be bendable. I did tip refinement. It now looks even more bulbous with hanging collumella. It looks horrendous. I am 5 weeks post op.

Firm after rhinoplasty

+2

The tissues after surgery go through a predictable evolution. Initially during the first few weeks the nasal tip is firm even hard due to fluid under pressure. As the healing process continues, scar is formed and this too is firm and mostly unyealding. However as the healing process winds down and the scar remodeles, the tip slowly becomes softer. Eventually it returns close to its natural consistency. If cartilage was added (as is often the case with strut grafts), the tip will likely be slightly firmer to the touch.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing is very common after a structural rhinoplasty has been performed. In most cases, the nose will usually soften up in time but may take 1-2 years before the full results can be seen and felt.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Tip Hard after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would agree that the tip this early after rhinoplasty is usually hard.  The pliability does tend to return after several months.

Nasal tip stiff

+1

At five weeks after a rhinoplasty, the tip is usually very firm. Over time it usually softens but this can take about a year.

Tip firmness after Rhinoplasty

+1

You can expect the tip of the nose do be more firm after surgery for many months. You are at 5 weeks now and that is very early. It will take many months for things to soften and for you to see your final results. Give it time

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal to have firmness in tip after rhinoplasty

+1

The healing process after rhinoplasty causes the tip to be firm for a period of months, and then it softens and becomes more flexible over time.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon