Will Tip Grafts Permently Stiffen the Tip of my Nose?

I had an open septorhinoplasty 10 weeks ago. The surgeon used alar grafts in my tip. Also performed a columella setback. My nose tip is very stiff. Will tip grafts permantly stiffen my nose tip or will my tip go back to its normal softness prior to surgery?

Rhinoplasty and having a stiff tip

+1

Dear Lilly23,

1. When you reinforce the nose during rhinoplasty, the benefit is that the nose will not droop as you get older and the results will maintain themselves
  2. You are still very early in the healing process and swelling will make it feel stiff
  3. Long term, the tip will likely be more stiff than it was before, and it will soften a little bit over time

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Stiffness will soften but not all the way back to your original nose

+1

In most cases the stiffness reduces over time but rarely all the way back to the original nose.  The grafts in place are providing benefit to the nose in terms of support and possibly contouring and the stiffness is just an inevitable part of grafting in rhinoplasty.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Grafts in Rhinoplasty

+1

Some of the stiffness in the postoperative period is due to edema or swelling, which will improve over time. However, the addition of cartilage will likely stiffen the area somewhat. For most patients the cosmetic improvement outweighs this..

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip grafting can be useful in rhinoplasty

+1

Grafts are used in rhinoplasty to reshape the nose, provide structure, or provide support.  Many different grafting materials are available.  To some extent the grafting material may cause some stiffening of the nose. This is usually very subtle and not a concern for the patients.  Some small grafts may cause no perception of stiffening.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon