Will a Tip Graft Removal Make my Nose Saggy?

I had goretex and ear cartilage put into my bridge and tip together with an alarplasty. If they where removed, will it make my bridge and tip saggy?? >_< and will there by a scar in my skin if these things are removed?

Saggy Skin after Tip Graft Removal?

+2

Following removal of any volume in the nose, including grafts placed at a previous surgery, there is a potential space left that could fill with fluid or scar tissue or become misshapen during the healing process.  However, placement of a well-designed splint, composed of tape and aquaplast material will collapse this space and allow the skin to adhere to the remaining cartilaginous framework of the tip, creating a smooth, defined contour that will conform and shrink to the shape of that framework.  Splint design and placement is all important, so make sure you have an experienced surgeon doing this revision if you choose to go forward. If removal is all that's necessary, this should be able to be done without any external incisions.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Graft and implant removal from the nose

+2

Graft removal and implant removal from the nose is accomplished through incisions placed on the inside of the nose also known as closed rhinoplasty techniques. No external incisions are placed on the nose.  Removal of these grafts and implants may change the shape of the nose, depending upon where there are being removed from

Removal of tip graft and goretex

+2

It is difficult to predict exaclty how the nose will respone, but it may cause the tip to droop and lower the dorsum when the grafts are removed.

Sagging tip after removal of gortex and cartilage?

+2

Hard to tell if removing these items will make the tip sag.  I think it is safe to say that removing that much volume will have some affect, likely an unfavorable one.  The plan likely should include a revision with the addition of strategically placed cartilage to restructure the nose according to its needs.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Will a tip graft removal make my nose saggy?

+1
It is possible that removal of the graft will make your nose sag, and it is also possible that your nose will remain with its current shape. It really depends on the following:

1) What the goal of your surgery was

2) If you had a droopy tip to begin with

The tip generally tends to droop over time as individuals age, so it is difficult to predict the outcome of this situation. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he or she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon