Tip Fell After Rhinoplasty, What Can I Do To Achieve My Desired Results?

I had a closed rhinoseptoplasty 5 months ago. My nose's tip is pointing downwards and is slightly crooked to the left; and it's not at all what I wanted it to look like. My doctor told me that it was her own fault, and that she didn't know what to say, because it had never happened to her before. I need a revision rhinoplasty to correct the loosened sutures that are causing my nose to look like this. I feel terrible, how could this happen? Should I let her do my revision? What else should I do?

Tip fell in rhinoplasty

+1

Falling tips can happen and are more prone I think in closed approaches without suture techniques to reposition the tip cartilages.  This is one reason why I like the open approach.

+1

Revision Rhinoplasty is a quantum level more aesthetically and technically difficult so be sure to get a second opinion with several experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons.  If the nasal tip is asymmetric with sutures in place, you may need an open Rhinoplasty and possible ear graft to the nasal tip to rebuild an aesthetically attractive nasal tip.  

Revision rhinoplasty of the nasal tip

+1

It is not uncommon to require a revision rhinoplasty after undergoing a procedure on your nose. If you have confidence in your original surgeon, then that is often the best approach and the least expensive. I would recommend waiting a year prior to the revision, however.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for the disliked nose.

+1

Revision rhinoplasty for the disliked nose. If you have lost confidence in your surgeon get a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Tip drop after rhinoplasty

+1

This is the great challenge of rhinoplasty, the fact that healing is a biologic event that we cannot completely control. Even in experienced hands with perfect execution an unwanted result can occur. Your doctor  sounds like she is following you closely and if she is comfortable with the revision I would stick with her. She is in the best position to know what was actually done at the first surgery and what needs to be done to improve it.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregular result after rhinoplasty

+1

Give your nose a full year to heal and then have a revision.  If you like your surgeon (she sounds honest) and if she has had experience with revision rhinoplasty she should be the one to fix this.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tip Falling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Nose surgery involves shaping the many different structures of the nose, putting all the pieces back together, and then watching how the patient's body heals. Even in the most experienced hands things may not always go as desired. I see alot of patients for revision surgery, that is they have had surgery elsewhere and desire changes. I will generally try to educate the patient to what is going on with their nose as well as possible solutions. I then encourage them to go back to their original doctor for another consultation and discuss their evaluation and surgical plan.

In this case, finding a doctor that does alot of revision nose surgery and having a second opinion may be worthwhile.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon