Are Tip Elevation and Tip Rotation One and the Same?

I had a medium long, bulbous, ethnic nose with little internal structure to support heavy skin & had a rev rhino that included what my doc called "tip elevation". In pics he showed a straight bridge down/angling up,never said he would rotate my tip (& I wouldn't have understood b/c I'd never heard the word after surgery). 7 wks later, I see a small, rotated, ball of a tip above my nostrils & what looks like rotation very clearly (w/ elevation "1-3 mm"). What can I expect over the next 6 weeks?

+1

The proper aesthetic terms used in Rhinoplasty are:

Tip Rotation upward that shortens the nose.

Tip Rotation downward that makes the nose appear longer.

Tip Projection refers to how far off of the face, the tip projects or extends.

Rhinoplasty to rotate or elevate a tip

+1

Dear irsi,

1. Tip elevation and rotation are basically the same thing
  2. If you are too rotated or too elevated after 7 weeks, I would advise you to wait it out for a little while
  3. A little swelling in the upper lip, lower nose will lift the tip temporarily
  4. Each week will get better as the swelling comes down

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

+1

They frequently occur together, but they are not the same.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tip Elevation/Rotation in Rhinoplasty

+1

From a practical standpoint, nasal tip elevation and rotation are often used interchangeably to describe the maneuver of bringing the tip upward. Most tip elevations are done by tip rotation unless cartilage grafts are used to prevent a tilting effect as the tip is brought upward.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Too early to judge the final result

+1

Imaging is a good educational tool because it is very graphic and is a great educational tool.  As for your particular situation you are very early in the post operative course and will need more time to judge the final result.  

Tip elevation or rotation

+1

Rhinoplasty terms can be confusing as rotation of the tip and elevation can indeed be similar or even used interchangeably. Computer simulation is a very useful tool to sort out subtle changes in tip position and projection. No matter what you call it, you see what you can expect the goal to be.

Manipulation of the position of the tip can be approached through several strategies during rhinoplasty.

+1

There are several things that a plastic surgeon can do to alter the shape, position, and projection of the nasal tip. Your surgeon can discuss this with you specifically. Video imaging is a good way to see how a given surgical maneuver can change the overall shape of the nose.