Will my Tip Get Elevated with Silicone Implant?

I had a silicone implant on my whole nose and tip as well. And the length of the silicone implant at the tip area is shorter than my actual tip. So, it seems that a part of tip is taller while the other half remains the same. Will this cause a tip cartilage collapse? Or will my whole tip becomes elevated permanently in the future? (I'm afraid that the other half tip that there is no silicone will become shorter or collapse!)

Elevated nasal tip due to silicone implant

+1

It really depends on the type of silicone implant, whether it is dorsal augmentation such as a Flowers nasal dorsal implant and an L-shaped strut. The L-shaped strut will elevate the tip both in projection and rotation. The length of the implant is also variable depending upon what size and type of implant that was placed. The tip cartilages will not collapse in the nose. There will not be any collapse of the nose due to a silicone implant. The implants themselves if they are too big and shift, move or migrate, there is a small chance they could become infected and need to be removed.

Nasal tip projection

+1

While you have had a silicone nasal implant placed, do not assume that your tip projection wil be any better than it was just after surgery. Over time as the swelling comes down, it may decrease a bit.

Tip Elevation after Silicone Implant

+1

It is unlikely your tip will collapse after a silicone implant and less likely the tip will elevate in the future.  If you're not satisfied,  consider revision surgery.

Silicone nasal implants

+1

So many of the doctors on this site  and at conferences condemn preformed silastic implants in the nose. Few, if any seem to have ever done one. They usually have heard of or seen a complication from these implants.

In my opinion and experience, few techniques can give as good a cosmetic result in the flat Asian or African nose that can be achieved in a relatively brief and thereby less costly operation than can be achieved with a sialstic nasal implant. They do not  require the time, effort and scarring of harvesting cartilage from the patient. I have seen 4 hour procedures done for 3-4 times the cost and rarely the equivalent result when rib and ear grafts are harvested, sculpted and precisely sewn in place.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip get elevated with silicone implant

+1

Since you did not post photos very hard to determine if the tip will elevat. Go see another opinion to be sure the implant will be satisfactory to you. I guess from your posting you are not happy so you may need further surgery.

From MIAMI Dr. B

The silicone implant of the tip.

+1

If the tip is not projected more than it was to begin with it will not get more projected in the future. I personally don't care for implants in the nose of foreign material since they can get infected or come out.

Silicone Implants Not Ideal for the Tip

+1

Silicone implants can be used to augment a nose during Rhinoplasty.  Unfortunately there is a higher rate of infection and/or extrusion of this, especially at the tip.  For this reason it is not used very often any longer. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implants for Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

A silastic implant usually raises the nose from the naso-frontal angle to the lower mid-dorsum. Silastic implants can be used to augment the tip but it can look awkward and can occasional extrude through the skin.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS