Tip Drop After Rhino?

I had my first rhino 4 years ago. First 2 years I did like my nose, but my tip dropped a lot and it looked hooked again. Reading the forum I see most PS say the tip usually drops and the final result can be seen after 1 year. Now after my second rhino (one week) I really like my nose now, the tip is lovely, not too turned up, just a bit. Does that mean that my tip will drop again for sure. So if I want just a little turned up tip it should look much upturned first weeks?I don't want it to drop:(

Will my tip drop again

+2

There is a relaxation of the tip with time. In a patient that is prone to tip drop as you were I"m sure your surgeon took extra steps to insure this wont happen again.

If the tip is stable, it will not drop

+2

Some types of rhinoplasty result in a tip that does not have stable support.  In such cases, the tip may drop after some time passes.  If the tip is made to be strong and stable, it will maintain position long-term.  At one week, it is too early to tell for you case.  But I would recommend you address these concerns with your surgeon who can give you insight on the technique used and likely progression post-surgery.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip dropping after rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to determine how your nose will look following your revision without learning more about what your surgeon did to provide support during the procedure. In general, the nasal tip may drop after surgery for the following reasons:

1) Gravity
2) The tissues "release"
3)  The rhinoplasty is performed improperly, affecting nasal tip support

It would be best for you to speak with your surgeon, and learn more about what he/she did to help fix your drooping nasal tip.  He or she may also be able to provide you with assurance that the great result of your surgery will remain over time. Thanks and best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Drop

+1

Is it a tip drop or hanging columella? Hanging columella can be corrected by removing the lining and caudal septum, if necessary. Tip drop may be due to excessive resection, not resecting enough from the caudal septum, or lack of skin shrinkage in a patient with poor quality skin. Correction requires careful analysis first in order to pick the best treatment.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Will tip drop after rhinoplasty

+1

You're right that the tip can drop a bit after rhinoplasty as the nose heals. However, depending on how your surgeon supported your tip during surgery you may not necessarily find that your tip will change position as it heals. You would likely be able to find out more information from your surgeon as to whether he or she expects the tip rotation to change.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD