Tip droops when smiling but I generally like the tip when neutral. Will reducing the hump make my nose look less droopy? (Photo)

My doctor he said that he does not want to change the tip of my nose because he like the dimple(s), he thinks the forward projection of the tip correlates well with my chin. The dorsal hump will be removed as well as narrowing of the bones. I like the tip of my nose when neutral however it does become droopy when smiling. Is there a way to reduce droopiness when smiling? will reducing the hump have any affect on the tip or will my nose look extra long? What do you think?

Tip drop, smiling

+2
Hello, your question is a very common one. There is a very small muscle that connects the tip of your nose deep on the inside to the underlying structure of the upper lip on the bone. A very easy procedure can be done to gently nip that muscle so that it no longer functions to drop the tip. This can be done under local anesthesia and just a very light sedation and takes approximately 10 minutes. Proper exam would be important however.

Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dynamic deformity

+1
This finding is known as a dynamic deformity and is due to overative depressor septi muscles.  These can be dissected during rhinoplasty to avoid this deformity.  I do believe some upward rotation can help as well; this is done with cartilage resection.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Droopy tip with animation

+1
 The drooping tip caused when patients smile and animate  is caused from the presence of a depressor septi ligament. This ligament is attached from the tip of the cartilages in the nose to the smile muscle of the mouth. Every time the patient smiles, the muscle pulls the nasal tip downwards. During the rhinoplasty procedure, releasing of the depressor septi ligament will  prevent the nose tip from drooping when smiling.

Tip droops when smiling but I generally like the tip when neutral. Will reducing the hump make my nose look less droopy?

+1
I would remove the hump, elevate and refine the tip, and release the muscle that causes the tip to plunge during animation.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Nose Tip Movement

+1
Nasal movement is caused by a small muscle that pulls down when you smile. It can be corrected surgically. If you decide to have a rhinoplasty procedure, the dynamic tip movement can be addressed at the same time. Your nose shape is very amenable to an aesthetic improvement.

Good Luck

David Shifrin, MD