Tip droops when smiling but I generally like the tip when neutral. Will reducing the hump make my nose look less droopy? (Photo)

My doctor he said that he does not want to change the tip of my nose because he like the dimple(s), he thinks the forward projection of the tip correlates well with my chin. The dorsal hump will be removed as well as narrowing of the bones. I like the tip of my nose when neutral however it does become droopy when smiling. Is there a way to reduce droopiness when smiling? will reducing the hump have any affect on the tip or will my nose look extra long? What do you think?

Tip drop, smiling

Hello, your question is a very common one. There is a very small muscle that connects the tip of your nose deep on the inside to the underlying structure of the upper lip on the bone. A very easy procedure can be done to gently nip that muscle so that it no longer functions to drop the tip. This can be done under local anesthesia and just a very light sedation and takes approximately 10 minutes. Proper exam would be important however.

Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip drops when smiling

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. The dorsal bump will be addressed. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Dynamic deformity

This finding is known as a dynamic deformity and is due to overative depressor septi muscles.  These can be dissected during rhinoplasty to avoid this deformity.  I do believe some upward rotation can help as well; this is done with cartilage resection.

Droopy tip with animation

The drooping tip caused when patients smile and animate  is caused from the presence of a depressor septi ligament. This ligament is attached from the tip of the cartilages in the nose to the smile muscle of the mouth. Every time the patient smiles, the muscle pulls the nasal tip downwards. During the rhinoplasty procedure, releasing of the depressor septi ligament will  prevent the nose tip from drooping when smiling.

Tip droops when smiling but I generally like the tip when neutral. Will reducing the hump make my nose look less droopy?

I would remove the hump, elevate and refine the tip, and release the muscle that causes the tip to plunge during animation.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Nose Tip Movement

Nasal movement is caused by a small muscle that pulls down when you smile. It can be corrected surgically. If you decide to have a rhinoplasty procedure, the dynamic tip movement can be addressed at the same time. Your nose shape is very amenable to an aesthetic improvement.

Good Luck

David Shifrin, MD