Tip Deprojection and Lengthening?

My doctor wants to do a tip deprojection/lengthening on my nose for my rhinoplasty surgery. This sounds great in theory, as my nose is slightly short and upturned. The problem is, I'm more concerned with my tip which is kind of bulbous, and I'd like it to be more refined. Would deprojecting the nose make my tip more bulbous? How is the tip DEprojection done? Also, what is the technique for lengthening a nose?

Tip Deprojection and Lengthening

+2

Hi again Ivy. Deprojection of the tip will require reduction and remodeling of the tip cartilages, so this would be part of the tip work that should reduce your bulbosity. Deprojection is not an isolated process, it is part of what happens when an overprojecting nose is reshaped. The lengthening of the nose is accomplished with cartilage grafting and sutures, and the tip reduction provides the extra skin on the bridge of the nose needed to allow the nose to elongate. These are not techniques to be undertaken lightly, and should be done only by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Hope this helped!

Questions about rhinoplasty technique

+1

You are using several technical terms which are difficult to understand without a photograph. Deprojection is used for patients that have a very prominent tip in comparision to their bridge. Perhaps, you should have your surgeon show you the difference of a rhinoplasty with or without the deprojection so that you can have a better understanding the implications of perfroming or abandoning this technique.

Bulbous nasal tip reduction

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Cleveland, OH,
Nasal tip refinement is done in most rhinoplasty cases. Correction of a bulbous tip requires reshaping and repositioning of the nasal tip cartilages. This can be done by reducing tip volume while preventing it from rotating upward. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will take all these factors into account to ensure  nose is in harmony with the rest of the face and looks natural.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Rhinoplasty Tip Techniques

+1

Tip alteration is very common in rhinoplasty surgery.  Tip rotation can be decreased readily with numerous techniques and most certainly refinement of the tip can be done simultaneously.  You must first be comfortable with your surgeon's approach.  Get all questions answered.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Deprojection of a bulbous nose and lengthening of a short nose

+1

Deprojection of a bulbous nose can cause the tip to appear less refined, depending on the cause of the bulbosity. However, the bulbosity may be addressed at the same time. Lengthening the nose is one of the more difficult maneuvers in rhinoplasty and technically involves extending the nasal septum and possibly augmenting the nasal tip with cartilage grafts.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip De-projecting, and Lengthening

+1

If you mentioned to your surgeon that you want the tip of your nose to be less bulbous - he/she can fix that.  Usually this is done by trimming part of your lower lateral cartilages and shaping them and sewing them in a way to make the tip narrower.  This can be done in conjunction with tip de-projecting and lengthening which are performed with other maneuvers.  It's a little complicated but if you have any questions or what exactly is going to be done, you should ask your surgeon to explain it until you feel 100% comfortable and have a clear understanding prior to proceeding with surgery.  I'm sure he/she will be happy to explain everything to you.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Deprojecting nose

+1

De projecting the nose will not necessarily make the tip more bulbous. The bulbous tip can be refined at the same time.