Tingling Incision After Breast Augmentation

Received submuscular breast aug 4 wks ago via inframammary incision. The one incision site has been tingling for 2 days and is exacerbated when arm is raised above head.

There are no signs of inflammation and infection and there is no pain. PS told me that it could be due to a sutured nerve and will heal on its own eventually. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Tingling Breast Augmentation Incisions

+3

Good sign! The nerve is regenerating. This will subside but prior to subsiding you may feel electric shock like pains for a few weeks as the nerve regenerates. Don't worry!

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tingling sensation after breast augmentation is nerve related

+2

The sensation you are describing is nerve related and should resolve on its own. However, it may take 6-12 months in some cases. Be patient!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation-Postop

+2

What you are likely feeling is the regeneration of the nerves that are usually cut during the surgery.  It will eventually go away in time.  Hang in there!

Congratulations on your surgery.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tingling breast augmentation incisions

+2

This is clearly a nerve related issue and should resolve spontaneously.  It may take days, weeks or maybe months but with time and massage it should resolve without further problems. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tingling incision common for breast augmentation 4 weeks post-op

+2

Tingling and shooting sensations are very common in the first few month after breast surgery. I agree with tyour PS. These sensations are very normal and gradually diminish and go away on their own. Sometimes massage of the area can help.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tingling sensation at incision site after breast augmentation

+2

Yes, this should resolve on its own. The tiny nerves to the skin are cut during surgery, and these do regenerate. As they heal, you may notice tingling, especially if you tap on the incision site or if an underwire bra sits at that point. It may take several months for the nerves to heal, so just be patient during this time. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tingling Incision after Breast surgery

+1

Feelings of numbness, tingling, and hypersensitivity are not uncommon after any operation.  It can simply represent the typical healing process.  "Tingling" of the incision that seems out of proportion may represent the healing of very tiny sensory nerve branches.  These sensations usually resolve with time, but can take up to 6-12 months in some patients.  Scar massage with Mederma or other "anti-scar" creams may be helpful.  I would recommend a regular followup with your surgeon, so this can be monitored more closely.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

There can be transient tingling after breast implants.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we occasionally see the problem you describe after breast implants. The symptoms invariably go away , but it can take several months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tingling following breast augmentation: Mondor's disease or resolving neuropraxia

+1

The timing sounds right for Mondor's disesase which can frequently be managed with NSAIDS and warm compresses. However, I would first recommend that you seek the advice of your surgeon,

Tingling following augmentation

+1

I agree with your plastic surgeon that the tingling in your incision is most likely due to a nerve caught up in the scar or incision. This is not at all unusual and likely will correct itself with time. Some gentle massage with a scar prevention product may speed things along a bit.

John Whitt, MD