Tingling Under the Eyes After Blepharoplasty

I had laser bleph 2 weeks ago. Do I use hot/cold compresses to reduce swelling under my eyes? I am also getting tingling under the eyes where the puffiness is, is this normal? I am due to return to the UK tmrw and cannot speak with my surgeon due to time differences or able to see him. (He was excellent pre the surgery and now seems to have lost interest). I also have a few bumps under one eye, he said was because the laser was too hot so unsure if heat will make it worse? He recomded massage?

Eyelid Surgery

+2

Tingling after the surgery is normal and should subside over time.  Regarding the massaging after surgery, I would wait to do any massaging until the swelling is gone.  The benefits are minimal and you may cause some trauma.  Sleep with your head elevated, avoid salty foods, fast foods, eat a healthy diet, get enough protein, and the eyelids will heal.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sensation after Blepharoplasty

+2

It is generally normal to have some tingling after lower eyelid surgery, especially if the lid was detached from the bony orbital rim. This should be something that your surgeon should answer for you, since he knows exactly what was done. Since this is not an emergency, contact him at your earliest convenience. Since you chose a long distance arrangement for your surgery, you will have to take into account the time difference and call when you are home.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tingling after laser

+2

the most important thing you can do at this point is moisturize well, vaseline if necessary, and use sun block. early treatment with a steroid cream might help bumps but this should only be done after consultation with a doctor, prefarably yours.  i'm  a little worried about the "hot laser" comment. did you burn? are the bumps slow healing or scarring? you need to be seen. call in the middle of the night if necessary. that's why surgery and travel don't mix.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No surgeon should is too busy to attend to their patient's concerns.

+2

Nicola

At this point, the cold compresses are not doing anything.  Compresses are OK if they serve the purpose of making the eyelids more comfortable.  Otherwise, they do not provide much value at this point.  Primarily you just need to heal and this will take time.  Even the tingling sensation you are describing is normal this early from surgery and should resolve in time.  Certainly these are reasonable concerns to take up with your surgeon no matter how busy they are.

Tingling under eye after Eyelid Surgery

+2

Tingling is typically an indication the cutaneous sensory nerves are regenerating and is a normal part of post surgical healing.  It's unethical to give a fresh post op patient specific advice after their surgery.  You should be able to speak or e-mail the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery or speak with his/her nurse at the very least to answer your post op questions. 

Eyelid Tingling After Blepharoplasty

+1

Nicola,

Rest assured that it is completely normal to have some tingling in your eyelids after blepharoplasty surgery.  This should resolve in several months.  You can use warm compresses to help with swelling.

You should not feel guilty asking questions of your surgeon; he is obligated to answer your questions.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon