Tingling and Itchiness in Lips Post Lip Fillers (Juvederm)?

I'm on day four of having my lips enhanced with juvederm and yesterday the became very tingley and itchy?? They are also quite hard. I have had this treatmant quite a few times in the past but never have had this problem before

Tingling and itching after Juvederm in lips ?

+1

Do you have any history of Herpes or cold sores? Even without a history, some people can develop a cold sore after injections in their lips.  Best to follow up with your doctor for evaluation and appropriate treatment 

Complications reported for HA fillers

+1
The fact that you have had multiple treatments without complications in the past suggests that you may have developed a hypersensitivity reaction. Hyaluronic acid fillers are a natural product and for the most part are very safe. However, there have been case reports of complications. The most common side effects are usually localized and are transient, such as bruising, tenderness, discomfort, edema (including angioedema), and erythema. A few cases of hypersensitive skin reactions and granulomatous foreign body formation with hyaluronic acid have been reported. I am concerned about the fact that the treated areas have become "hard." Also, symptoms of "itching" are unusual and again suggest a possible hypersensitivity reaction. You should contact your injector immediately and go in for an evaluation. You may have to reverse these findings by injecting hyaluronidase. If the induration persists longer than 30 days after initial injection it may be worth considering injection with triamcinolone acetonide. A reference article for you was published by Bisaccia, et al, Persistent inflammatory reaction to hyaluronic acid gel: A case report. Cutis 2007;79:388-389.

Curt Samlaska, MD