How Many Times Will I Meet with my Doctor Before my Breast Augmentation Surgery?

I have my first consultation with my PA on July 5 at 1:30 p.m. I just called today to see how long my apointment will be and they said it should take about a half hour. This seems too short? Will I be meeting with him again after the initial consultation? My consultation is $100 and I would think it should be longer considering all that must be gone over. I have 2 full pages of questions. I am 100% sure I am going through with surgery. I am hoping it is once and done so that I can schedule.

Preoperative Plastic Surgeon Consultation and Preparation for Surgery

+1
This varies from surgeon to surgeon. We typically have an hour consultation and provide significant information on our web site prior to surgery. Additional consultations can be arranged if needed. In addition  there is a preoperative visit that also lasts an hour along with extensive printed material about the procedure.
Our consultants are also available for additional questions to be answered. We believe a well informed patient always does better.

How Many Times Will I Meet with my Doctor Before my Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Each office is different, and each case is different. Most of our patients like to come in 2 - 3 times prior to breast augmentation surgery. We offer free, private consultations, and will work with patients until they feel comfortable and can provide informed consent to the procedure. There is no time limit for any of the consultations, and no time limit for the overall consultation process.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Consultation

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

I cannot speak for your surgeon or for any other surgeon in this forum. At my practice, the patient spends no less than 60 to 90 minutes with me during the initial consultation.  I then see the patient again during the immediate pre-op visit to go over any lingering questions/concerns.  I feel this is ample time to answer any and all concerns.  If you have questions, your surgeon should make the time to answer them.  

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

How Many Times to Meet with your Surgeon Prior to Surgery?

+1

It is very important to have your questions answered and discuss your goals with your surgeon. Each office differs with how they charge for consultations / repeat visits - you should check with the office you are planning on visiting to see what their policy is.

I meet with patients as many times as they want prior to them proceeding with surgery.  Each visit is as long as it needs to be (no limit on time) depending on how many questions the patient has.

Make sure you are visiting with well experienced plastic surgeons who can show you results.

The length of a consultation for breast augmentation varies but can take as much time as you need

+1

The length of a consultation for breast augmentation varies from patient to patient.  It usally lasts 30 minutes to an hour.  It is important that you feel comfortable and have all of your questions answered.  Sometimes more than one visit is necessary. I do not charge for repeat preoperative visits as long as you have signed up for surgery.

Talk to your surgeon.  It will most likely be okay.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Choosing your surgeon

+1

has many variables and there is no clear answer to your question.  The bottom line is that you should have as many visits with your potential surgeon until you are satisfied your questions have been addressed and your comfortable and trust whom you choose.  As there are no guarantees, you should also know the doctor's revision policy.

Most of my patients are already sure they want the procedure and through referrals from their friends and family, are certain they want me to do this for them.  Because of this, most will have their initial visit to discuss the procedure and allow them to size implants and get the costs of the procedure.  There is always a pre-op visit about a week before the procedure to confirm size and resolve any other issues. 

If a patient wanted more visits, they are welcome to have as many as they need in order to feel comfortable about what they are considering doing.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Great question and I know that every office is different. You want to be sure that you will actually have the full half hour with the doctor. Some offices have the initial consult with a physician's assistant. At our facility you are at the office for 60-90 mintes all told which includes watching a video, a physical exam and a consultation with the surgeon and taking the preop photos. The length of time varies slightly based on the questions you have, but most good surgeons will have answered all your questions before you can ask them. Remember we get the same questions basically from every patient so we can anticipate them. I feel it is important to make sure all questions are answered and all decisions made by the time the patient leaves the office and it is rare to have another visit before surgery. This has worked for me for 30 years of practice. My associate in the office likes to see patients at least twice before surgery. There is no RIGHT answer, and any doctor will see you as often as you like. Most surgeons do not charge for the second visit, by the way.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How many times should you see your plastic surgeon before surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. There is really no hard answer. Generally speaking, the initial consultation is usually the longest. Thats when complete history and examination is performed. The surgical option are discussed with the patients, before and after photos are presented and all questions answered. This takes up to an hour. Ultimately it is not the length of the consultation, but the quality of information provided and thats what matter.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

I usually meet with patients more than once. First for the consult, and then when they return for their pre-op appointment.

Consultation for breast augmentation

+1

Hi!

Consultations tend to last anywhere from 30-45 minutes but if you
would like to spend a little more time discussing your surgery you
should call the office back and specify that need. Usually, you do go
back to see the doctor for a pre-op appointment the day before your
surgery. However, if you would feel more comfortable having another
meeting or consultation prior to the pre-op you should most definitely
communicate that to your board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD