How Many Times Can You Get Ear Otoplasty?

I just got ear otoplasty about a month and a half ago and it's better then my old ears but still not great, and I certainly don't feel comfortable putting my hair up. Can I get a second otoplasty? And will the surgeon cut the ear from where the scar was? Or will they have to cut at another spot?

Otoplasty revisions

+2

There is a relatively high percentage of touchup procedures after otoplasty. This is because the ears tend to spring back to their original position after the surgery. When the otoplasty operation is performed, the two procedures that are most important are; 1) creating the antihelical fold which makes the top portion of the ear stick out and 2) setting back the conchal bowl which sets the whole ear back. Permanent sutures are used to hold this cartilage in the new place. Initially the ears are overcorrected, but spring back to a new normal position. Approximately 10 to 20% of the time they need to be revised through the same incision. This is usually done under a local anesthesia.

Yes, but you should wait a bit.

+2

Otoplasty creates one of the missing folds in prominent ears and also reduces the cup shaped part, if necessary. One of the many reasons for not getting an optimal result is not addressing the cup and just working on the fold.  You may need to have this looked at in about 6 months to a year if you are still dissatisfied.The same incision is used and you should have no additional scars.

Bala S. Chandrasekhar, MD - RETIRED

Ears can be improved after Otoplasty, but please wait.

+1

Re-opearing too soon is a mistake. It can take six months before all the tissues have healed to reveal the final result.

I have never seen a case where a re-do was not possible. However, no decisions can be made while healing still going on.

I will bet that your ears will look better a couple of months from now. If at that time, you  have questions, always best to have a second opinion with a surgeon with long experience performing otoplasty.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Wait a year for revision otoplasty

+1

Although your ears may not look as good as hoped, I have seen subtle changes occur over the first 12 months following Otoplasty. This will allow ample time for physical [and emotional] healing to occur. You may consider a second opinion at that time, before proceeding into additional surgery. (We use the same incision when re-operating on the ears, since it is well-hidden.)  --Dr. Gross

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision ear pinning (otoplasty) for persistent prominent ears

+1

The incision depends on what is responsible for the excessive projection of the ear. However, it is likely that the same incision could be used. One ear revision should be easy to perform and should not be a problem but you should wait probably around 6 months 

How many times can one get their ears operated on (otoplasty)

+1

Regarding: "How many times can you get ear otoplasty?   I just got ear otoplasty about a month and a half ago and it's better then my old ears but still not great, and I certainly don't feel comfortable putting my hair up. Can I get a second otoplasty? And will the surgeon cut the ear from where the scar was? Or will they have to cut at another spot?"

Just finished answering your other question on this forum.

I really sympathize with your situation but without photographs to understand you, I am struck by your the level of your anger and disappointment. It appears as if you had very little education before the Otoplasty on what to expect.

As regards How many times can you get ear Otoplasty? - I am tempted to pick a number of of a hat but there is NO set number. Each operation produces more scarring and accomplishes less than the operation before it. It is best to get it right the first time around.

Your statement that " got ear otoplasty about a month and a half ago and it's better then my old ears but still not great, and I certainly don't feel comfortable putting my hair up" suggests that EITHER your expectations were much greater than your outcome (so far) or that the Otoplasty result is truly poor.

You really should discuss this with your surgeon. As a patient you are entitled to expect your surgeon to do the best he can, based on his training and experience, but you cannot expect a miraculous transformation from a horrendous deformity. Sometimes, an improvement is all that can be realistically obtained.