Is a Breast Augmentation, Mini TT and Lipo of Belly, Hips and Outer Thighs too Much at One Time?

I'm scheduled to have a mommy makeover, including breast augmentation, mini TT with lipo around belly button and lipo on hips and outer thighs. My two primary concerns are being under for 5 hours (in a surgery center) as well as having too much done at one time. I was just reading about how lipo on the abdomen isn't good alongside a tummy tuck. Are all of these procedures routinely performed together and is it safe to be under for the stated time? Thanks in advance for your help!

Safety of Multiple Mommy Makeover Procedures

+2

The options you describe are often done at one surgery.  Whether or not they are the right combination for you really depends on what you look like.  Liposuction of the abdomen combined with a tummy tuck can be risky, but it really depends on the surgeon's technique.  If there is minimal undermining of your abdominal skin, liposuction can be safely done, but if you have significant laxity of the upper abdominal skin, this may not correct your problem.  I would recommend getting several consultations.  If you hear similar solutions proposed by several surgeons, you are probably on the right track.  If all other surgeons have a different take on what to do from the one you have seen, I would be cautious in making your decision.

+1

As long as you are health to begin with, that all can likely be done in one setting and be safe.  Liposuction and a full tummy tuck can lead to delayed healing, but is less of a risk on a mini tummy tuck. It might be nice to have an overnight stay facility to go to after as then you will have experienced help for the first night and they can monitor you for nausea or dehydration.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover Surgery Safety

+1

While every patient’s cosmetic need(s) will necessitate different surgical procedures, it is not uncommon for some mommy makeover surgery to include a combination of tummy tuck, liposuction, and/or a cosmetic breast procedure. Furthermore, plastic surgeons do occasionally combine liposuction of the abdominal region with tummy tuck surgery, especially in the case of a mini tummy tuck. There are certain instances where some surgeons suggest one surgical session is easier and safer for the patient. At my Atlanta practice, I determine surgical risk and base my recommendations on the individual patient’s medical history, circumstance and the procedure(s) they are pursuing. I would recommend you discuss your hesitation with your surgeon. Ask if there are any concerns that stand out on your medical record and what your options for splitting up the procedures would be.

David Whiteman, MD

How much surgery should be done at one time

+1

A mommy makeover as you are describing can be done safely in 5 hours. I agree, I would not perform liposuction of the abdomen at the same time as a tummy tuck. Be sure your facility and your surgeon are fully certified and accredited. The longer the surgery, the higher the risk of DVT (blood clots in the legs). Discuss this with your plastic surgeon before surgery to see if any precautions need to be taken.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Combining cosmetic procedures can be safe.

+1

Patient safety is the most important aspect of undergoing elective surgery. In general patients considering elective combined cosmetic procedures of the body need to be in excellent health. Your health status should be evaluated by your general physician, you should be eating a perfect diet, exercising at least 30 minutes daily, are of normal body weight for height and age, are leading an active life, do not smoke, are not on hormones for birth control or hormone replacement therapy and have the appropriate environment and help needed to recover from these procedures.

Laurie Casas, MD

Mommy Makeover -- too much?

+1

A breast augmentation and mini tummy tuck with liposuction of the hips and thighs (often called a "mommy makeover") should take less than five hours for most surgeons. I typically limit my surgeries to six hours or less. I always perform liposuction when a mini tummy tuck is done to the upper abdomen, waist and hips to achieve an even contour. As long as you are healthy, it should be a safe procedure in the hands of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donna Rich, MD

Multiple procedures at one time.

+1

The answer to your question is unfortunately "it depends." The safety concern with liposuction involves the volume of fat removed. Small amounts of liposuction can sound like alot, but may only be a few hundred cc's here or there. In addition, the term "mini-tummy tuck" can mean many different things. However, this is often a short procedure and is often done in conjunction with liposuction of the abdomen. Breast augmentation is commonly performed with these procedures.

More important is your overall health, your physician's experience, and your comfort level. Having a board certified anesthesiologist is also important. You will want to have a responsible adult at home to help care for you for at least a few days. If you have any concerns, why not request to have the surgery in a hospital or request an overnight stay?

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Mommy Makeover Procedures

+1

The procedures you are describing, breast augmentation, mini tummy tuck, and liposuction of abdomen, hips, and thighs, can generally be performed together safely.  Liposuction of the abdomen is often performed safely with a mini tummy tuck, but the surgeon needs to be careful with regards to the extent of the liposuction.  An evaluation by your board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to determine whether these procedures are appropriate for you.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

+1

The combination operations are done but you need a very good informed consent from you chosen surgeon. Implants and a min TT are done with minor lipo around the mid to upper abdomen. In my state, Florida, can only remove 1 liter of fat in combination with other surgeries. Best to truly understand the operations and the options. 

What constitutes a Mommy Makeover Marathon?

+1

Thank you for the question.  The answer all depends on your overall health and how involved each of these procedures will be.

Yes, these procedures are routinely performed together and 5 hours for a Mommy Makeover is not out of the ordinary. Many surgeons use 6 hours as the cut off for ambulatory surgery.  Again, it depends on the health of the patient and how much is being done in those six hours.

If you are otherwise healthy, if the liposuction isn't large volume, and if your surgeon is board certified, facile, and experienced in these procedures; I don't see a problem with it.

Things to check:  Board certified Plastic Surgeon, Board certified Anesthesiologist for the anesthesia, and Accreditation of  the Ambulatory Surgery Center. Make sure you get all three.

If you are very concerned, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get another opinion even if you stick with the first plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps. Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS