How much time off work is needed for BA & TT?

I have my pre-op appointment in a few days but need to know how long to take off work. I am having BA & TT with no lipo and want to know if 1 week is enough time to take off. I am having surgery on a Friday and want to return not the following Monday but the next (10 days after surgery). I have an office job that can sit most of the day with no lifting. I can get up and move around as often or little as I want so I think this is enough time.

Time off work

+1
Best to follow the post operative advice of your surgeon.  Certainly your surgeon will see you in the office before you return to work.  Best to not push yourself too fast - you have a great deal invested in the surgery.

TT and Breast Aug and WORK

+1
I think you are pushing it. It can be done but you will be tired and need an afternoon nap. I tell my own patients to plan on two weeks and if they can go back sooner then you are able. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Time off to recover from tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1
Thank you for your inquiry about your tummy tuck and breast augmentation recovery.

Assuming the implants go under the muscle and that the tummy tuck will tighten the stomach muscle, you are cutting things close with only 10 days off work. Even at a full 2 weeks, most women with office jobs are exhausted the first week at work.

That said, your situation may be different. You should discuss with your surgeon. For instance, implants over the muscle and a skin only tummy tuck have a much easier recovery. 

A lot also depends on your commute. A short commute makes a big difference. These are things to discuss with your surgeon in your pre-surgery planning. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Time off work for tummy tuck and augmentation

+1
I have found that there is great variation in a patient's ability to return to work after a tummy tuck and breast surgery.  Some may be ready to return in a week, but most will not.  I generally advise patients to take at least 2 weeks off if they have a relatively sedentary job.   If your job requires heavy lifting or strenuous activity, it may take 4-8 weeks to get "up to speed" after an abdominoplasty.  If you plan to return too early, you may place yourself in a difficult position and be unable to perform your job appropriately.  Talk to your surgeon in detail to get his/her recommendations.  Good luck!

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Time off work after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1
This is a common question.  Two weeks minimum is safest for sedentary jobs.  If a patient can get three weeks off then that is even better.  I wouldn't expect someone to be able to go back to work and actually make it through a full day while doing their previous duties 7-10 days after that procedure.  It isn't that there is significant pain at that time it is just that the patient will be tired and need to rest throughout the day.  Make sure you budget enough time off work, if there is a problem or you're not feeling well at 10 days, you will want to make sure your work will allow you the additional time.  Best of luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

How much time off work is needed for Breast Augmentation & Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would advise waiting at least 2-3 weeks before returning to the most sedentary types of jobs after undergoing tummy tuck surgery.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource, during the postoperative period,  to help you determine timing for returning to work and/or other activities. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing, whether you have experienced any complications, exactly what type of work you are returning to, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Returning to work too soon is one of the reasons patients suffer physical and/or emotional setbacks after this major surgery. Some general words of advice  you may find helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Always listen to your own surgeon

+1
You have already chosen a plastic surgeon for your surgery.  It is not a good idea to let others answer your question.  You are not their patient.  Only be guided by your surgeon.  This is a sacred relationship between you and your chosen surgeon.  Best of luck.

Vasdev Rai, MD

+1
For office work I usually try to get the patients to take off 2 weeks. It's not that you can't do the work, but getting up and dressed and to the office might be more than you want. Also there is significant fatigue factor that may be more bothersome than the discomfort.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Time off after TT

+1
Most patients who do work that is not physically exerting can be back in 7-10 days. The breast augmentation will not add more time--most patients with BA alone are back in a few days.

All the best. 

+1
Back to work guidelines do vary from surgeon to surgeon, but I usually recommend taking at least two full weeks off of work after having a breast augmentation and tummy tuck procedure.  As the tummy tuck is  a more invasive procedure, it takes longer to recover.  It will ultimately depend on how well you are feeling and how well your healing is progressing.  It is important that you discuss your back to work plans with your surgeon so that he or she is able to tailor a plan of care for you accordingly. You don't want to risk jeopardizing your result but returning to work too soon.

Frank Lista, MD