I Am Taking Time off Work to Have an Additional Surgery and Decided to Get my Breast Done Too During the Same Time Frame?

I work as a paramedic for two different counties in my state. I have already been granted 6-8 weeks of approved leave for gall bladder surgery. I don't feel it's any of their business but I'm a little worried it may backfire on me if they were to find out I didn't tell them. Do I have a legal obligation to tell them about both surgeries?

Informing employer about breast augmentation surgery

+2

The choice to have a breast augmentation is a personal one.  If you are pressed to tell your employer about your surgery tell them it was female surgery.  It is true and it usually stops any further questions.  

Time off of work

+2

Although I am not a lawyer, and certainly am not qualified to provide legal advice, my personal opinion is that it is not your employer's business as to what medical procedures that you have performed during a leave of absence. 

Christopher Davidosn, M.D.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

You do not need to tell them.

+2

Deciding to have breast implant (or any other surgery) is up to you.  You are NOT obligated to tell your employer why you need to take time off. As you stated, it is not their business to know your personal decision.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast aug during medical leave

+1

You are not obligated to inform your employer about surgery while you are on leave.

You may want to let them know, however.  If you have complications, or difficulty lifting heavy patients after your breast surgery, they may want to know why you were not forthcoming with the added surgery.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon