What is Right Time to Start Treatment for 1 Month Old and Diagnosed for Port Wine Stain?

I haveone monthold daughter born on 28 July' 11. She was born with red birth marks covering extensive portions of her body. primarily her face. I did a lot of research on internet on this and came to know that this can be cured through laser - PulseDyeLaser. Sir, by the look of photographs how soon can the laser treatment on her can be done. Couple of questions 2. From the look of photographs how many sittings with approximate intervals she would require.

Laser can be started at 3-6 month

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are various ways to remove birthmarks, depending on its etiology.  For example, a birthmark caused due to a vascular problem needs a completely different treatment than a birthmark such as a mole.  More often than not, vascular birthmarks need to have some form of laser treatment.  They can require more, but a laser is generally a minimum.  Other birthmarks such as a mole, can be excised in the office with relative ease.  The size and location will determine the final outcome.  A photograph always helps but there is no substitute for and in person physical examination.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for the best outcomes.

Port Wine Stain Treatment

+1

Larger areas of a port wine stain are typically removed by a laser.  Anesthesia is usually needed for this laser treatment and be safely done when full term child is three months of age.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment for vascular anomalies

+1

As Director of the Vascular Anomalies Center at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, I frequently see patients with capillary malformations or "port wine stains."  Large areas for laser treatment require general anesthesia which can be safely done when full term children are 3 months of age.  Number of sessions varies depending on depth of color. More purple = deeper color = multiple sessions with pulsed dye laser = difficult to eradicate. It is difficult to estimate how many treatments are required for your child, but treatments will need to be repeated over several years given the extent of the capillary malformations. 

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon