Appropriate Time for Revision of Chin Implant?

I had a XL chin implant 5 weeks ago, and it's too large. I want to reduce the size to a medium. When is a good time to perform the revision? Also, if implant was placed via intra-oral surgery, is it advisable to have revision done via the submental approach as it is supposed to be less prone to complications? Thank you.

Downsizng an alloplastic chin implant

+3

I would advise waiting a minimum of 3 months because you may very well have swelling that is obscurring the final results.. Downsizing can be done at any time and if you already have a pre-exitsing intra-oral approach, I would use this incision.

Chin implant and downsizing

+2
I would wait three months into the postoperative phase as some residual swelling may be present. When the swelling has gone down and you and your surgeon decide to downsize, I would discuss incision sites. I personally only use the submental approach. I also use digital imaging with my patients and this shows the results proposed by the surgery at the consultation phase. In a female chin implant you strive for a natural enhanced chin and not to large to avoid a masculine appearance to the chin. Revision surgery of the chin implant should be simple and with little recovery time. The pocket for the augmentation has already been made so you are simply replacing the implant. I would definitely discuss the surgical approach with your surgeon and explain your concerns. I hope this is helpful to you! Best regards and remember don't "plunge" in to anything to soon!

Michael Elam, MD

When to revise chin implant to smaller size

+2

I would recommend waiting until at least 3 months after surgery before downsizing. You very likely have persistent tissue swelling at this stage in the healing process.

I prefer a submental approach to access the area for chin implant placement.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Probably still some swelling

+2

Chin implantation usually causes some persistant swelling, especially with placement of a large implant.  I would wait a minimum of three months before making any decisions about changing the size of the implant.  Regarding approach, I prefer the submental approach but this is a matter to discuss with your surgeon as personal preferences differ.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Chin Implant

+2

It is advisable to wait 8-10 weeks if not longer.  If in fact the swelling has gone down and you and your surgeon agree that the implant is just "too large," then once the edema (swelling) has subsided you can exchange the implant.

While there is no firm rule, what is important is that you are able to determine that it is not the swelling that you are seeing.  Your facial plastic surgeon can assist you with this determination.

I agree that the submental approach be used although this too is the choice you and your facial plastic surgeon can make together.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

As Dr Placik states 3 months and I would use the external submental approach. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Swelling After Chin Impnat

+2

Hi Plunge -

It can take up to 12 weeks afte chin implant surgery for 90% of the swelling to go down. It's not unusual for patients to feel the implant is too large after 5 weeks, especially with the numbness that goes with the swelling.

Operating too early after the surgery is often not advisalbe because the swelling hasn't gone down and it is difficult to judge what size the next implant should be. Also, the swollen tissues make surgery more difficult.  

It may be prudent to wait  6-12 months, unless an infection is present. Either appraoch is fine.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Size Selection

+2

Large chin implants in women tend to masculinize the feminine face.  This is not desirable clearly.  I would wait a bit longer ( 4 to 6 months) to see the result after swelling reduction.  You actually look quite good and you may get to like the result.  You do not appear to have too big an implant.  Nevertheless if you still do not like it after 4 to 6 months it can easily be removed and replaced.  Stay with the oral route.  You will be fine.  Why have another incision.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+2

Now is the best time before the capsule is fully formed. You can do that through a submental incision. Make sure the surgeon is well trained and board certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery)