First Time Having Restylane Injections - Unexplained Pain Top of Head in Scalp - Should I Be Worried, Seek Dr. Attention?

injections 6 of the 2.5 vial boxes in my face. mottled bruising on the right side, forehead to chin. Very severe pain started within an hour top of my head, lots of swelling Ice makes scalp pain worse. Scalp is very inflamed, can see also mottling through my hair on the right. Should seek doctor's attention? It was on Monday mid-day. This is Wednesday evening. Look like a chipmunk face so much swelling. was told injection went in a blood vessel. What do I do? none of this expected

Restylane and severe pain

+1

It is not normal to have significant pain after any dermal filler and the first thing that should be done is to call the provider and follow up immediately - if that wasn't clear during your treatment and you're waiting for things to clear up on their own, you could be putting yourself at risk for long-term complications.

Pain following Restylane injections

+1

If the Restylane was injected into a blood vessel, you should seek treatment immediately.  This may cause serious complications.  Typical side effects of Restylane may include:

1) Minor bruising and swelling
2) Infection
3) Hematoma
4) Redness
5) Irregularities due to poor technique

From what you describe, your symptoms are more serious and it would be best to have an examination by the physician who performed the initial injections.  Thank you and I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get Fast Help

+1

When any filler is placed within a blood vessel (intravascular) serious consequences can occur. It is critical to get immediate medical assistance to avoid this from happening. Some of the interventions include warm compresses, nitro paste to the area, taking an aspirin, as well as the injection of hyaluronidase to the region of concern. The faster this is done the less risk of a serious side effect. It is important to be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area for the appropriate treatment .

Jeffrey Fromowitz, MD, FAAD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Intravascular injection of filler

+1

having so much pain after injection of filler is not normal. If you had an intravascular injection with mottling of the skin, then you should be seen by your treating physician for care ASAP!

Restylane pain

+1
That is a lot of pain from Restylane. Restylane does not come in 2.5 ml syringes so my first concern is whether you had Restylane or some other product, such as gray market goods. I hope you went to a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. You should return to your injector but what you are mentioning in terms of syringe size and an injection going into a blood vessel is troubling. If your injector was not a physician, then please see an appropriate doctor at this time. Mottling is not typical and neither is scalp pain so I'd be concerned.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Always see the provider who injected you with any concerns

+1

Anytime you have a concern post treatment, I highly recommend you return to the person who did the treatments for evaluation.  While swelling post treatment is normal, pain and mottling of you skin is concerning and should be evaluated asap. 

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Pain after Restylane injections

+1

Anytime you are concerned after a procedure like this, return to your injector for an evaluation. Swelling from this much Restylane is normal and should be expected; however, pain the scalp is not if no injections were done there and I don't know why that would be happening. I will also say, there aren't 2.5ml syringes of Restylane. There are 2.0ml syringes.... is that what you had?

F. Victor Rueckl, MD